PhD Position - Intelligence, Affect, and Creativity: Study and design of humanoid robot behavior in the health domain
Specifications - (explanation)
|Function types||PhD positions|
|Scientific fields||Department of Communication Science, Faculty of Social Sciences|
|Hours||38.0 - 40.0 hours per week|
|About employer||VU University Amsterdam (VU)|
Candidates are expected to do research and publish the results in scientific journals and at conferences throughout the project. Each candidate will complete a PhD dissertation based on the research carried out in the project. Active participation in the project (attendance to international workshops, conferences, etc.) will be a part of the PhD project as well as disseminating research results to the creative industries. PhDs are part of the Graduate School of Social Sciences and attend those courses that are relevant to their research work.
- A relevant Master's degree, preferably a Research Master’s degree or equivalent qualifications, with a background in health communication, care, communication science, health psychology, cognitive science, artificial intelligence, requirements engineering;
- a firm basis in quantitative research methods and the willingness to learn new (i.e. Bayesian) statistical techniques;
- (preferably) experience with media psychology, computer-human interaction, and with experimental research (gained, for example, in a Master’s thesis or as a student assistant);
- good written and spoken command of English, preferably also in Dutch;
- good organizational skills;
- the ability and interest to work in a multidisciplinary team.
Conditions of employment
The initial appointment for the position (1 fte) will be for a period of 15 months. Extension of the appointment after the first period to a total of three years and three months is subject to satisfactory performance and evaluation of the initial appointment. You can find information about our excellent fringe benefits of employment at www.workingatvu.nl like
- remuneration of 8,3% end-of-year bonus and 8% holiday allowance
- generous contribution (70%) commuting allowance based on public transport
- participation in Individual Choices model
- a wide range of sports facilities which staff may use at a modest charge.
The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel, and amounts € 2.042,- gross per month in the first year up to € 2.612,- in the fourth year (salary scale 85) based on a full-time employment.
Contract type: Temporary, 15 months
The department of Communication Science at VU University in Amsterdam is a fast growing department within the Faculty of Social Sciences (www.fsw.vu.nl/nl) The teaching program consists of a three-year Bachelor program and a one-year Master program. The Master program consists of four different tracks: 1) Public and Political Communication 2) Corporate Communication and New Media , 3) Marketing and Health Communication, and 4) Media Psychology. The department of Communication Science is closely connected to two multidisciplinary research institutes: the Center for Advanced Media Research Amsterdam (CAMeRA) and the Network Institute. Furthermore, the department is involved in the national research school for Communication Science NeSCoR.