You cannot apply for this job anymore.
Browse the current job offers or choose an item in the top navigation above.
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is one of Europe's top technological universities, in the heart of one of Europe's largest hightech innovation ecosystems - the Eindhoven Brainport region. Research at TU/e is characterized by a combination of academic excellence and a strong real-world impact. This impact is often obtained via close collaboration with hightech industries.
TUe campus 5G and QKD test and evaluation site
At the TUe campus we are developing a 5G testbed offering attractive open environment for pilot tests as well as evaluations for applications and scenarios that require the new stringent 5G key performance indicators (KPIs) and data security to be met, like, e.g., robot-to-robot communication, fronthaul to robot, robot-to-drone, broadcasting, city security, 3D-communications, 5G automated vehicle driving, to name but a few. Several 5G Projects from several groups at TUe such as 5G PPP blueSPACE, Metro-haul, 5G MOBIX, 5G PHOS, 5G STEP FWD, BRAINE and others are cross-collaborating in setting up the 5G test-environment.
Research Challenges in BRAINE
Edge computing offers many technical advantages, e.g., reduced latency, secure decentralized processing and storage, scalability at lower complexity, versatility to adapt the changes in resources and applications, and increased reliability. Edge computing can dramatically boost services and applications by supporting artificial intelligence (AI) natively, instead of relying on the cloud. Edge computing supporting AI is the only technology that will enable many of the long-awaited game
changers: Industry4.0 and smart manufacturing, 5G, IoT, self-driving vehicles, remote robotics for healthcare, and machine vision among others. The ECSEL BRAINE project's overall aim is to boost the development of the Edge framework focusing on energy efficient hardware and AI empowered software, capable of processing Big Data at the Edge, supporting security, data privacy, and sovereignty.
We are looking therefore for a strong (MSc/PhD) researcher or industrial applied research engineer to take up these challenges related to:
-develop a roadmap, studies, and use-case validation for 5G connectivity integration into edge computing with data security for access, data transmission and long term storage integrity
- Implementation and test of EMDC in existing 5G test-environment at TU/e
-Implement QKD for encryption in our 5G test-bed and BRAINE test and use cases at TUE and other BRAINE partners sites
- Interfacing between all interfaces elements of end-to-end system from EMDC and 5G and classic and QKD encryption
-Contribute to the definition of the roadmaps for research on what shall be 6G systems and implementation of systems-on-chip for secure infrastructures.
The candidate for this position will contribute to the TU/e efforts in stablishing the collaboration liaisons with the BRAINE consortium but also with other projects such as 5G MOBIX, blueSPACE partners and other researchers in the project. The candidates will contribute to the related project reporting, scientific publication and dissemination activities and preparation of proposal for grant to national and European projects. The candidate is expected to interact with TUe teams in efforts of stablishing and operating the common activities in the Eindhoven 5G and QKD test-beds.
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
- MSc or PhD in electrical engineering, cyber-security, telecommunications, optical fibre communications, wireless communications. Candidates with a BSc in Engineering with and/or an equivalent industrial engineering background and experience are also encouraged to apply.
- Background and experience in cyber-security, classic and quantum is an asset
- Knowledge of QKD systems
- Ability to work with experts from a broad range of scientific and technology backgrounds
- Fluent spoken and written English
Conditions of employment
- A challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university and a stimulating internationally renowned research group
- The candidate will work in close collaboration with project partners in 5G MOBIX
- Full-time temporary appointment for 2s years.
- A gross salary between € 2261,- and € 4274,- per month, depending on knowledge and experience level
- An attractive package of fringe benefits, including excellent technical infrastructure, savings schemes, and excellent sports facilities, holiday allowance (8%, May), and end of year bonus (8.3%, December). Foreign experts may benefit from the 30% tax regulation in order to get a higher net salary, when granted.