For this position text in Dutch please go to Enthousiaste-communicatief-vaardige-werkgroep-docententutoren-gezocht
As a tutor you will lead tutorial groups for first-, second- and third-year bachelor students (public administration and sociology), or master (sociology) students. You will observe and analyse the group process and by asking the right questions at the right time you will create an inspiring learning environment. Your task is together with your students to create a deeper understanding of the material. In doing so you will stimulate and activate the academic thinking ability of the entire group. You find it enjoyable and consider it a challenge to support groups of students in their own learning process. Being able to enthuse and motivate others are important elements of the position.
We are currently working in a team of more than 30 extremely driven young professionals who together contribute to the success of our departmental education programmes.
As a tutor within our team, you will have the opportunity to develop into an educational professional where you will get to know all facets of teaching. You will have many responsibilities, will have to learn to work with different peak workload moments throughout the year, and will work in an exceptionally inspiring environment where you will help the students learn and in turn you will learn a lot from them too.
Education is still mostly taking place remotely via Zoom. However, there is a lot of hard work going into facilitating a phased return to physical education on campus from September.
· You will lead tutorial groups for the students of the various educational programmes;
· In doing so, you lead the group process to ensure optimal knowledge transfer;
· You will provide education to two or three groups per day, which meet at fixed times twice a week. You will also act as a skills trainer for the practicals which take place weekly at fixed times;
· You support students in a different subject every five weeks. Each time in a different group composition;
· You will be present at course meetings, evaluation meetings, peer reviews, and team meetings;
· In every block you will work (about) four days a week on the tasks that need to be done; and
· You can self-allocate your time outside of the fixed teaching hours to complete additional activities within strict deadlines. For example, preparing for tutorial groups, grading, and administrative tasks such as attendance and grade registration.
· You have a master’s degree completed before September 2021 in Public Administration or Sociology, or in a related field of study with demonstratable knowledge of these fields;
· You have excellent written and oral skills in English. Knowledge of Dutch is an asset;
· You can work with several deadlines at once;
· You enjoy working in an environment with a variety of tasks and topics;
· You are selfconfident and can clearly express your personal expectations towards both students and colleagues;
· You are a team player and include others in your decision-making processes;
· You have strong self-reflection skills and accept feedback in a constructive manner;
· You are able to recognise and communicate your boundaries and limits to your colleagues and manager;
· An affinity with statistics and research methods is an advantage;
· Demonstrable knowledge and experience with guiding (educational) groups is also an advantage;
· You are fully available from the 26th of August, 2021 for introductory meetings and a three-day tutor training course before education starts on the 6th of September, 2021; and
· You are fully available for all teaching weeks in the academic year;
If you have experience with Problem Based Learning (PBL) (as a student or as a teacher) or have gained experience in education, we invite you to mention this explicitly in your application.
Internationally-oriented and varied work within an enthusiastic team, with attractive fringe benefits in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO-NU). Your initial employment term will be one year for 0,7 fte,, but this may be followed by an extension if your performance proves satisfactory and depending on possibilities in the organization . The first extension will be one year and the second takes two year. Both for 0,8 fte. Your remuneration will depend on the position, your specific knowledge and experience It will be calculated on the basis of full-time salary ranging between EUR 2.790 and 4.402 gross per month (salary scale 10, CAO NU ). Erasmus University Rotterdam offers attractive terms of employment, including a holiday allowance of 8%, a year-end payment of 8.3% and 41 annual leave days in case of a full work week. In addition, EUR takes part in the ABP pension scheme, and we also offer partially paid parental leave. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Moreover, EUR staff members are allowed to make use of the EUR facilities, including the Erasmus sports centre and the University Library.
What else can be expected from us?
· A position with a high level of personal responsibility that really matters to the students of DPAS;
· A team of young, diverse, and enthusiastic colleagues from whom you can learn;
· Room to grow and experiment;
· A position entirely focused on education with fixed working days and holidays parallel to the students' educational timetable;
· Training opportunities: participation in various training courses, workshops and peer reviews;
· Personal development opportunities: you determine your own development, for example by following a training or course with the help of your Personal Career Budget.
The Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR), named after Rotterdam-born humanist and theologian Erasmus, is a research university with a strong international orientation and a pronounced social focus, both in its education and research activities. On the lively, modern campus, more than 28.000 students and scholars of more than 100 nationalities are constantly encouraged to develop their talents and meet their ambition. Our more than 2700 scientists and employees work together with all our students to solve challenges faced by global society, drawing their inspiration from the consistently dynamic and cosmopolitan city of Rotterdam. The academic education offered at our faculties is intensive, engaging and strongly focused on practical application. We increasingly perform our research in multidisciplinary teams, which are closely interwoven with international networks. In terms of research impact and the quality of its degree programmes, EUR can compete with the foremost universities in Europe, which is reflected in its consistent top-100 position in most major universities rankings. Erasmus University Rotterdam’s key values are daring, curiosity, social involvement, breaking new ground and striving for success www.eur.nl
The Erasmus School of Social and Behavioural Sciences is home to a vast diversity of scientific disciplines: public administration, pedagogical sciences, psychology and sociology. In addition, the Erasmus University College, IHS, and two research institutes RISBO and DRIFT are linked to the faculty. This also reflects in the content of the (international) bachelor's and master's programs and in research. Our activities are always focused on people and society. At the ESSB fundamental, internationally oriented research is of paramount importance. In addition, social research for professionals, policy makers, and the society is part of our research activities. ESSB offers a stimulating research environment where major national and international research grants are received. Appealing guest researchers and ambitious PhD candidates come along to conduct their research. Our education is small-scale and works with innovative forms of education such as Problem-Based Learning (PBL). Both the Dutch and English programs are highly ranked by students and alumni. ESSB is home to over 4000 students and more than 400 staff-members. The different disciplines are supported by the Faculty Office (for more information, please visit www.eur.nl/essb).
Department of Public Administration and Sociology (DPAS)
DPAS covers the disciplines of Public Administration and Sociology. Two related scientific fields with different profiles. Public Administration studies governance capacity and policy interventions. It focuses on the institutional power to organize and intervene in the relations between different social, political and economic actors. Public Administration in Rotterdam goes well beyond the public realm itself and pays attention to public-private cooperation and networks of organizations. Sociology investigates the social structure of societies and the way it evolves. Sociologists in Rotterdam focus among other things on processes of globalization and individualization and on the effects of these processes on international social relations, the labor market or family relations. Related social problems that are studied are migration, flexibilization and solidarity. The perspectives of Public Administration and Sociology complement each other. Together they guarantee a highly relevant and scientific approach to topical administrative and social issues. The bachelor- and masterprogrammes of DPAS are build on this profile and educate students to become scientifically schooled professionals.
We value diversity and believe that a diversity of talents contributes to our vision and strategy to excel as a university on research and education. This means that we are looking for a person who can complement our team well. For more information about EUR and the Erasmus School of Social and Behavioural Sciences, please visit www.eur.nl/essb.
For additional information about this vacancy, please contact Marthe Korte MSc via email: via email@example.com
You are welcome to send your letter of application accompanied by your CV via the Apply now button. The deadline for applications is Sunday June 27. Interviews will take place via Zoom between the 30th of June and 14th of July.
Internal candidates enjoy a priority position with respect to external candidates.
Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR)
Burgemeester Oudlaan 50, 3062 PA, Rotterdam
Make sure to apply no later than 27 Jun 2021 23:59 (Europe/Amsterdam).
We like to make it easy for you, sign in for these and other useful features: