You cannot apply for this job anymore (deadline was 30 Oct 2021).
Browse the current job offers or choose an item in the top navigation above.
The University of Twente (UT) invites learning scientists with an excellent research and teaching record to apply for the position of Full Professor Technology Enhanced Learning and Instruction (TELI), in the Instructional Technology section of the department of Learning, Data and Technology (LDT), School of Behavioural, Management and Social Sciences (BMS).
Our mission is to develop (theories underpinning) innovative, technology enhanced, and adaptive learning environments. We offer an exciting opportunity for inspiring learning scientists with a strong vision on how to effectively support teaching and learning with and from technology.
We invite the new professor to build upon our current approach in which we combine fundamental studies with applied research to strengthen our societal impact. We aim to understand students' learning processes when learning in technology enhanced environments. The full professor is expected to expand and extend research within the area of technology enhanced learning and instruction. For example, our group has a rich tradition of investigating learning in the context of STEM inquiry learning systems that include technologies such as open online laboratories, simulations and scaffolds (see https://www.utwente.nl/en/bms/ist/).
The section of Instructional Technology (IST) currently employs 18 people. IST is part of the department of Learning, Data and Technology (LDT). Besides the IST section, the LDT department consists of the section of Cognition, Data and Education (CODE), the section of Teacher Professional Development (ELAN) and the section of Educational Sciences (OWK). Each section has its own responsibilities, but the sections cooperate in research projects and in teaching.
Research of IST is embedded in the Digital Society Institute of University of Twente, a leading innovation hub equipped with state-of-the-art infrastructure, stimulating entrepreneurship and improving education by personalized technology. Within the faculty, research support is provided by both the BMSLab (bmslab.utwente.nl) and the behavioural data science incubator (BDSI, bdsi.bms.utwente.nl).
This ambitious research environment and the initiatives in the field of digital transformation of education, simulation modelling, and Big Data, supports truly multi-disciplinary research.
As TELI professor, you will provide leadership to the IST research group. You take responsibility for building capacity on Technology Enhanced Learning and Instruction in the section, inspiring researchers from adjacent fields to collaborate.
You strengthen the learning research by engaged supervision of BSc, MSc, and PhD students. You develop a strong Instructional Technology education portfolio, teaching in bachelor and master programmes, and in different formats of continuing and professional education. You acquire funding from national and international sources.
You create impact with the research and teaching activities and actively engage with stakeholders from the field to set-up new collaborations and contribute to knowledge valorisation.
University of Twente (UT)
- have a background in either the learning, educational, or psychological sciences, and a strong background in technology enhanced learning and instruction
- have developed a research line of international stature, with strong scientific and societal impact and acquired substantial external funding
- have strong collaborative capabilities, and communication skills, with research experience in a multidisciplinary environment
- are active in networks and have experience in working closely with both students and teachers in primary, secondary, vocational or higher education;
- show vision and drive (seeing opportunities and possibilities, showing ambition)
- are skilled in teaching at all levels of the university, and possess a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) certificate, or are willing to acquire this
- have an excellent command of English, at least at C2 level
- have a good command of the Dutch language (or are willing to learn it)
Conditions of employment
We offer a full-time position as Professor with a competitive salary and excellent employment conditions.
- excellent research facilities in our LDT department within the BMS school
- extras such as an 8,3% end-of-year bonus and 8% holiday allowance
- minimum of 29 holidays in case of full-time employment;
- an attractive pension scheme
- possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave
- professional and personal development programmes
- a family friendly institution, offering support for dual hiring