In recent years a low-cost and fully recyclable thermoplastic material has been produced from liquefied lignocellulosic biomass. Promising first results have been acquired, employing the material both as a thermoplastic and as (part of) a bio-composite, paving the way to a more in-depth analyses of the material and the relation between process, structure and material properties.
This work will involve experimental activities covering a variety of aspects related to the physicochemical characterization and processing of the novel bio-based thermoplastic material aiming for its successful application towards a fully recyclable coating or bio-composite with optimal mechanical properties. In this 4-year project you will have the opportunity to develop your PhD in the field of Bio-based materials, working in creative and experienced research groups with extensive experience in practical research and access to unique experimental infrastructure.
University of Twente (UT)
For this position we are searching for an ambitious candidate with a Master's Degree in Polymer Engineering. A solid background in polymer chemistry and engineering is essential.
- You have a Master's degree in Polymer Engineering
- You have excellent research skills, eager to learn and improve
- You have hands-on experience with experimental laboratory systems
- You are curious, creative and can work independently
- You are a team player and you thrive in a collaborative environment
- You posses strong written and verbal communication skills. Proficiency in English is required, both spoken and written. You need to provide IELTS test results (minimum score 6.5) or TOEFL-iBT (minimum score 90). The latter is not necessary for native speakers of English or whose MSc program was in English.
Conditions of employment
- You will be appointed on a fulltime position for four years.
- The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in a stimulating scientific environment.
- The PhD salary is € 2.541,- in the first year and increases to € 3.247,- in the fourth year.
- The offer further involves: a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%, a solid pension scheme, a minimum of 29 holidays, and numerous professional and personal development programmes.
This project will be developed in close collaboration between the groups Sustainable Process Technology, Production Technology and Sustainable Polymers Chemistry at the University of Twente.
At SPT, we develop experimental and modelling research in the areas of biomass conversion, affinity separations, plastic recycling, water and CO2 capture and conversion. We combine our expertise in different disciplines (process design, chemistry, catalysis, modelling, engineering) to contribute to the development of sustainable chemical processes.
At PT we address the technical issues of new products and new processes in close collaboration with scientific and industrial partners. We focus on the optimization of both the manufacturing and the performance of lightweight materials in structural applications.
SPC focuses on the development of new sustainable polymeric materials. The SPC group develops novel synthesis strategies and polymeric materials to tackle different fundamental questions. The main focus of the group is novel (bio)degradable and chemically modified biobased materials, primarily based on phosphorus-containing polymers or biopolymers, such as starch, cellulose, or lignin.
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As 'the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.
Your reaction should include an application/motivation letter, emphasizing your specific interest and motivation, a detailed CV, an academic transcript of B.Sc. and M.Sc. education and proof of IELTS or TOEFL score (if necessary). In addition, we ask for contact information of 2 references. An interview and a scientific presentation will be part of the selection procedure. Please submit your application before 15-8-2022 via the provided button below.
For more information about the position, contact dr.ir. Martin van Drongelen (firstname.lastname@example.org) or dr. M. Pilar Ruiz (email@example.com)