You cannot apply for this job anymore (deadline was 14 Aug 2022).
Browse the current job offers or choose an item in the top navigation above.
The power electronics & EMC (PE) group at the University of Twente has a vacancy for a Ph.D. student in the project "Accumulation-Mode BIdiswitch FArm for energy efficient battery chargers" (AMBIFAlent). This project aims to investigate the physics of novel vertical bidirectional switches, in a trench MOS process, to reduce the power consumption in battery chargers.
You will address device modelling and device (TCAD) simulation aspects of these new nanoscale devices and perform extended electrical characterization of those electron devices. A major challenge of your research is to develop novel power semiconductor devices and perform electrical analysis of the envisaged devices.
The project is financed by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) in the domain Applied and Engineering Sciences (TTW). You will carry out the research at the University in Enschede, The Netherlands, and several experienced supervisors (Dr. Ray Hueting, Prof. Gert Rietveld) will give you daily guidance. Collaboration is an important aspect of the PhD position. You will extensively collaborate with a PhD student and experiences scientific staff members of the Mescoscale Chemical Systems (MCS) group, part of the department of Science and Technology. In addition, you will work in close collaboration with a wide span of companies such as IQE, Nexperia, and NXP Semiconductors.
Teaching activities will take 10%-20% of your time.
University of Twente (UT)
- You are highly motivated and an enthusiastic researcher (F/M).
- You have a MSc degree in electrical engineering, nanotechnology, applied physics or a related topic, with excellent theoretical, programming and experimental skills.
- You have shown strong affinity with semiconductors, semiconductor physics and modelling.
- You have good team spirit and like to work in an internationally oriented environment.
- You are fluent in English.
Conditions of employment
- As a PhD student at UT, you will be appointed to a full-time position for four years, with a qualifier in the first year, within a very stimulating and exciting scientific environment;
- The University offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues;
- Your salary and associated conditions are in accordance with the collective labour agreement for Dutch universities (CAO-NU);
- You will receive a gross monthly salary ranging from € 2.541,- (first year) to € 3.247,- (fourth year);
- There are excellent benefits including a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%, and a solid pension scheme;
- A family-friendly institution that offers parental leave (both paid and unpaid);
- You will have a training programme as part of the Twente Graduate School where you and your supervisors will determine a plan for a suitable education and supervision;
- We encourage a high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other staff.
The PE group is part of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science and the MESA+ Institute for Nanotechnology, the largest research institute of the University of Twente. The institute trains graduate students and PhD students and conducts research in the fields of nanotechnology, microsystems, materials science and microelectronics. A unique strength of MESA+ is its multidisciplinary composition.