What are you going to do
Your research will mainly focus on the sociophonetic and sociophonological aspects of language contact and change in multilingual ecologies, and the implications for the study of human language, cognition, and communication. We have a special interest in scholars working on less familiar languages and communities. Your research will be part of the Amsterdam Center for Language and Communication (ACLC), https://aclc.uva.nl/
. The ACLC prioritises diversity (taken
in a holistic sense, e.g., ethnicity, social and/or linguistic background, gender, sexuality) and is committed to creating an inclusive research environment.
We are seeking a talented researcher and teacher who can communicate well with the different ACLC research groups, develop interdisciplinary projects, and contribute to research-based teaching. The ACLC is one of the five research schools of the Amsterdam Institute for Humanities Research
You will teach in a dynamic context with ample opportunities for the development of innovative teaching methods. You will contribute to teaching and developing courses involving phonetics, phonology, sociolinguistics, research methods or statistics, and other relevant courses that are part of the BA Linguistics, the BSc Cognition, Language & Communication, the MA Language & Society, the Research MA Linguistics & Communication, or any other relevant programme. These programmes adopt an interdisciplinary approach and you are expected to be open to fields that might not be directly related to your research focus (e.g., foreign languages teaching and cultural linguistics). We welcome your commitment to the development of a stimulating and collaborative educational atmosphere for teachers and students alike.Tasks and responsibilities
We expect you to engage in:
- Designing and conducting independent research on sociophonetics and sociophonology resulting in academic publications in peer-reviewed international journals and/or books;
- Pursuing external funding for research, notably funding from research councils, national as well as European or international;
- Contributing to and developing (inter)national research networks and collaborative research initiatives;
- Contributing to the research activities of the Amsterdam Center for Language and Communication (ACLC), and the Institute of Logic, Language, and Computation (ILLC, https://www.illc.uva.nl/);
- Developing, coordinating and teaching courses in our international Bachelor and Master programmes in the areas of phonetics, phonology, sociolinguistics and methodology, such as (among others):
- In the BA Linguistics: Phonetics, Transcription, Sociolinguistics, First Year Group Project, Phonology, Specialization Linguistics; Research Methods & Statistics, Speech Processing;
- In the BA Cognition, Language and Communication: Designing Research, Statistics in R, Advanced Statistics;
- In the MA Language & Society: Language in Use, and a new course on sociolinguistic methodologies;
- In the Research MA Linguistics & Communication: Statistics in Linguistics & Communication.
- Supervising Bachelor and Master theses and tutoring students; co-supervising PhD theses;
- Taking part in committees and working groups, and carrying out departmental administrative tasks as directed.