In your position as Rector Magnificus, you form part of the Board of the University and together with your fellow board members, you work on the University's strategic goals. The Board leads the entire University organization; to this end, it consults with the faculty boards and the managing directors of the various service units. The Board closely involves the University Council in its decision-making processes.
Our current President, Prof. Jouke de Vries, was appointed on 1 October 2018 and reappointed in 2022. He coordinates and monitors the functioning of the Board of the University as a whole. Vice President Hans Biemans is responsible for operational management. He was appointed in 2019 and reappointed in 2023.
Diversity and quality will be the guiding principles in the search for the new Rector Magnificus (academic background in humanities/social sciences or technical sciences/medicine, gender, and professional experience).
The Board of the University jointly communicates the strategy, mission, and vision of the UG. The members replace and support one another when necessary or desired, while each having their own focus areas.
As Rector Magnificus, you represent the academic community, emphasizing high-quality teaching and research and the connection between the two. You are responsible for academic integrity and the quality of teaching and research, care for the position of students within our University, and liaise with the student organizations. You safeguard our regulations and protocols and you chair the PhD Board.
A review on how the University’s governance model works is currently being conducted. The results of this review may influence the way in which the governance model will be shaped in the future.
University of Groningen
- you are a professor and you have extensive administrative experience, for example as a dean or director of an institute, partly gained at a Dutch university
- you possess academic stature and have a broad international network. You know how to inspire and motivate our academic community to achieve our strategic goals. You support the key points of the Strategic Plan for 2021-2026 and are able to further develop and shape the UG vision together with the University community
- you have an extensive network that proves relevant for the further development of our University. You have an understanding of and affinity with public-political environments and are internationally oriented
- you play an active role in uniting our academic community, maintain close contacts with key partners, are well-known in academia, and you can navigate easily between The Hague, Brussels, and the Northern Netherlands
- you liaise with our students and student organizations and have an interest and understanding of students' interests.
- you have an inspiring, motivating, and unifying personality
- you have a clear vision for research and teaching
- you are a strategist, geared towards transparency, with a long-term focus, and the ability to place us and our interests in a wider context and build solid relationships with internal and external parties
- you possess good communication and discussion skills
- you are sensitive towards people and processes
- you have an authentic, honest character and demonstrate a natural commitment to the organization and an eye for the position of staff and students
- you are stress-resistant and maintain an overview in the event of a calamity
- languages: English and Dutch at level C1 of the CEFR.
In case of equal suitability, the diversity of the team will be the determining factor.
Conditions of employment
Fixed-term contract: 48 months.
The position will become vacant as from 1 September 2023. Your appointment will be for a period of four years, with the possibility of reappointment. We are open to discussing the terms and conditions, with due respect for the Standards for Remuneration Act (WNT).
Stephan van Galen, Secretary-General