Multiple PhD positions are available with the IMS group in the themes of nano engineered thin films for photonic, sensing, neuromorphic and quantum applications.
Examples of projects are:
Ultra-low power phase modulator in silicon nitride
Here, we aim to integrate advanced piezo-electric materials for fast and low power modulation. We target tuning speed of 1 ns using relaxer piezo electric materials such as PZT and low power operation.
Barium titanate Optical modulators in silicon nitride
Here we aim to equip silicon nitride with high-speed optical modulation through heterogeneous integration with barium titanate.
Oxide quantum materials
Understanding how to co-design correlated and topological states of matter by exploiting the interplay between symmetry, correlation, and topology in oxide quantum heterostructures.
AlScN and PZT heterostructures grown by pulsed laser deposition on (membrane) platforms. Investigation of various (thermal) strain compensating buffer layers and explore low temperature (< 450C) deposition schemes while maintaining piezoelectric performance.
PiezoNEMS for sensing
Fabrication and characterization of piezoNEMS (nanoscale) transducers with very high-quality factors, by integrating piezoelectric excitation and detection. Main challenge is to develop technologies for the integration of piezoelectric materials in nanoscale structures, without degrading the piezoelectric properties.
Integration of Ferroelectric Tunnel junctions
Crossbar arrays of memristive devices will be developed, based on ferroelectric tunnel junctions (FTJs) and explore their integration with CMOS technologies will be explored.
University of Twente (UT)
- You are an enthusiastic and highly motivated researcher.
- You have a MSc degree in Chemistry, Physics, Materials Science or equivalent, with excellent experimental skills.
- You have a creative mindset and excellent analytical and communication skills.
- You have a keen interest in Materials Science, Materials Chemistry and Physics.
- You like to work in an interdisciplinary and internationally oriented environment.
- You are fluent in English.
Conditions of employment
- A full-time position for four years, with a qualifier in the first year, and the flexibility to work (partially) from home.
- Your salary and associated conditions are in accordance with the collective labour agreement for Dutch universities (CAO-NU).
- You will receive a gross monthly salary ranging from € 2.541,- (first year) to € 3.247,- (fourth year)·
- There are excellent benefits including a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%, and a solid pension scheme.
- A minimum of 232 leave hours in case of full-time employment based on a formal workweek of 38 hours. A full-time employment in practice means 40 hours a week, therefore resulting in 96 extra leave hours on an annual basis.
- Free access to sports facilities on campus.
- You will have a training programme as part of the Twente Graduate School where you and your supervisors will determine a plan for a suitable education and supervision.
IMS is a research group devoted to thin film growth studies, (nano)structuring techniques, and properties of complex materials, in particular oxides. It includes materials with diverse properties, like ferroelectrics, ferromagnetics and multiferroics, piezo's, high-K dielectrics, transparent conducting oxides, non-linear optical materials, ion conductors, superconducting and related materials, and anti-reflection coatings. Its research field is focussed on thin films with modified properties by doping or by artificial layered structures and superstructures. Applications are found in, e.g., nano-electronics and spintronics, optical systems, fuel and solar cells, fluidics, bio-nano sensors.
Are you interested in one of these positions? Please send your application via the 'Apply now' button below before 31 March 2023.
For more information, please contact Prof. dr. ir. Gertjan Koster (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The application should include:
- a short motivation letter emphasizing your research interest and motivation to apply for this PhD position
- a detailed CV
- contact details of at least 2 referees
- an academic transcript of BSc. and MSc. education
- a TOEFL or IELTS score to verify sufficient mastering of the English language.
An interview will be part of the selection procedure