Leiden University College The Hague at Leiden University would like to announce an exciting opportunity for a dedicated researcher (and teacher). We are now accepting applications for a fully-funded, four-year PhD position as part of the Resilient Ecosystems and Flourishing Communities (REFloC) project.
REFloC draws from the disciplines of economics, sociology, public health, sustainability science, and law. Our mission? To delve into the heart of the vulnerabilities of Forest Dependent Communities (FDCs) using Ghana as a case study to discover innovative conceptual, methodological, and policy solutions. Climate change has necessitated a global focus on sustainability, and our research will explore the meanings of lands and forests as conduits for the mutual development of humans and the environment.
The project aims to achieve four main objectives:
Carve Your Niche
- To explore the meanings of place-based assemblages (including lands and forests) in rural and peri-urban communities through the mapping of vulnerabilities and assessment of strategies for FDCs.
- To develop a model or framework for the co-becoming of humans and forests in rural and peri-urban communities.
- To develop sustainable development toolkits with both communities and policymakers to promote the resilience and flourishing of such communities.
- To develop educational toolkits for interdisciplinary and decolonial teaching.
While our project has broad goals, we understand the importance of individual passion and expertise. We will therefore shape the core focus of this PhD position in collaboration with the selected candidate, offering the opportunity to be part of a project with real-world impact.
This is an invitation to join a vibrant team of multi-disciplinary scholars based in the Netherlands and Ghana. Your Role and Responsibilities
As our PhD candidate, you will work closely with Dr Davina Osei, Dr Ahmed Abubakari and Dr Jyothi Thrivikraman to deliver the following:
- Make significant contributions to the conceptualization, methodology, and data management of our project
- Develop your own PhD project within the REFloC research program, culminating in a doctoral thesis
- Participate actively in team meetings and project events
- Produce impactful scholarly works for top international peer-reviewed journals
- Present key findings at scientific conferences and stakeholder meetings, both national and international
- Contribute to project deliverables, including content creation for our website and social media platforms
- Offer mentorship to Bachelor's students affiliated with the project
- Fulfil teaching commitments in our Bachelor program Liberal Arts and Sciences: Global Challenges (0.2 FTE of a full-time appointment per year for the 4-year duration of the PhD).