What do we need from you?
How to apply to this vacancy?
- A completed Research Master or Master’s in History, or in another discipline relevant for the core research of the project;
- Knowledge of the history of slave trade and slavery; or with the history of European colonialism (especially in Asia);
- Experience with archival research (in Europe and if possible, in non-European archives).
- Good writing skills (very good level of Academic English);
- Active and independent work spirit;
- Excellent command of at least two of the following languages: Dutch, Portuguese and/or Spanish or another Latin-based language such as French and/or Italian, which will allow the candidate to quickly work with sources produced by the Iberian colonial authorities;
- Residing in The Netherlands or willing to.
You can apply to this PhD position by submitting the following documents:
Guidelines to fill the Project questionnaire:Each answer should not exceed 100 words. Core questions:
- Curriculum vitae
- A motivation letter
- Project questionnaire (to be uploaded after you finished the application procedure)
- Why do you want to do a PhD?
- Why are you interested in working on this project?
- What case studies would you choose to examine the PhD thesis? And Why?
- What makes you the ideal candidate for this PhD position? What skills, competences and experiences do you have that will benefit the development of the project and enhance the project team?
During the selection procedure, we can also ask for a sample of writing (thesis, publication, etc.) which can give us an insight into the candidate writing skills.
For more information about this PhD vacancy, please contact Filipa Ribeiro da Silva
(project leader and supervisor) (). A more detailed description of the project can be found together with the advisement of the Vacancy on the website of the IISH, under “jobs”/“vacatures”, at https://iisg.amsterdam
Applications can be submitted until 29 September via the “application button
”. The interviews will most likely take place in the second and or third week of October.
After finishing he application procedure you will receive login details/ You then need to login a new and upload the document with your filled in project questionnaire
Applicants will be assessed on the following criteria: a) familiarity with the scientific field; b) job motivation; c) originality; and d) compliance with the vacancy requirements.