The Anton Pannekoek Institute for Astronomy (API)
of the University of Amsterdam (UvA) invites applications for up to 2 permanent positions in data- and compute-intensive astrophysics/astronomy.
This search is part of a team hire. The team’s goal is to raise the overall level of research and teaching in compute- and data-intensive astronomy in the institute and its partners. To this end, the team will develop its own excellent programme, and contribute its expertise to collaboration with colleagues, leading to joint research, teaching, and software development.
We are looking for creative and enthusiastic colleagues to participate in, and help advance, research carried out at API in the subject areas of state-of-the-art simulation techniques, advanced statistics, novel modelling approaches, and integrated software development. The successful candidate will initiate, independently execute, and publish scientific research in consultation with the scientific staff at API.
We are particularly interested in applicants applying advanced techniques to large experimental or observational data sets to answer fundamental research questions in any of APIs main research areas and strengthen the long-term research directions in data- and compute-intensive science. Our research interests include gravitational-wave and multi-messenger astrophysics, radio astronomy, high-energy physics, stellar dynamics, accretion disks, stellar evolution, planet formation, spectroscopy of stellar and planetary atmospheres and imaging analysis. The candidate also can be embedded in the vibrant community of the UvA Data Science Center
. What you are going to do
You are expected:
- to be active in research in the area of data- and compute-intensive science related to the astronomical interests of API faculty;
- to create, design, develop, and build data- and compute-intensive tools using various techniques to address questions related to scientific interests of API faculty;
- to (co-)write research proposals;
- to propose improvements for processes and possible enhancements;
- to advise and support staff during use and application of the designed tools;
- to actively contribute to departmental duties.
Depending on the background and expertise of the candidate, there is a possibility for a more senior level position in which the candidate would also be expected:
- to be a pioneer in new techniques and introduce colleagues to the application of such techniques;
- to be able to validate functionalities and specifications;
- to coordinate and coach colleagues.