Leiden University is one of Europe's premier international research institutions. Its excellence is owed to the committed and inspired employees, who play a pivotal role in both national and international academic research and education. The university...
You cannot apply for this job anymore (deadline was 27 Nov 2023).
Browse the current job offers or choose an item in the top navigation above.
The Senior Lead is responsible for leading, managing and supporting the local Una Europa team at Leiden University as well as the broader community of academics and other staff involved in the alliance. Leiden University is looking to recruit an experienced senior project manager who is able to bring people and organisations together, and who will help build innovative research and education driven collaborations within Una Europa. The position requires a skilled professional that is pragmatic and who enjoys a somewhat fluid environment and can effectively operate in it.
The main tasks of the Senior Lead include:
- Consulting with the Una Europa governing bodies and steering committees; setting the trajectory for existing steering committees to develop further into interdisciplinary hubs; and translating concepts into concrete implementation agendas.
- Leading on, and actively participating in, the development and implementation of institutional processes and practices to engage the Leiden community and ensure alignment with agendas of different departments in the institution;
- Working in close collaboration with the Lead in the team and is responsible for managing the realisation of deliverables in the grant agreement.
- The development of a benchmark that will guide the priorities within the framework of the Una Europa Research an Innovation Strategy.
- Leading on the development of the international dimension of Una Europa that builds on the global engagement of the alliance and has as a first priority to create joint initiatives with partners across the African continent.
- Managing commitment and results on all work packages
- Leading the Work package Una Europa for researchers with concrete tasks such as
- A feasibility study for a joint institute for Advanced Studies.
- Developing a ‘joint doctoral interdisciplinary methods training’
- Developing and implementing joint formats for doctoral education
- Rewarding staff investment and incentivising participation and engagement
In general, the Senior Lead will work closely with a broad spectrum of Leiden based and international researchers, act as a sparring partner for senior academics, and is capable of inspiring enthusiasm across a wide range of institutional stakeholders.
Conditions of employment
Appointment Process and How to Apply
The Executive Search firm, Perrett Laver, has been asked by Leiden University to support the recruitment process for the role of Senior Lead, both to assist in the assessment of candidates against the requirements of the role and to identify the widest possible field of candidates.
Leiden University comprises seven faculties, each overseen by a Faculty Board chaired by a dean. The overall management falls under the purview of the Executive Board, ensuring a transparent and approachable governance structure. This decentralised structure gives faculties the freedom to make their own decisions.
Leiden University is a proud member of Una Europa, an alliance comprising of 11 leading research-intensive European Universities that is funded through the prestigious EU's European University Initiative. Una Europa's objective is to leverage the collective strengths of its partners to establish a genuinely European inter-university environment, shaping a University of the Future. The alliance offers students, researchers, and lecturers exciting new international opportunities for collaboration and development.
The 11 partner universities of Una Europa are:
Freie Universität Berlin
Alma Mater Studiorum - Università di Bologna
University College Dublin
University of Edinburgh
Uniwersytet Jagielloński w Krakowie
Universidad Complutense de Madrid
Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne
Leiden University joined Una Europa in late 2022 and has been operational in the alliance since January 2023. The Una Europa community at Leiden is growing, and enthusiastic participants for various Una Europa groups have been found, including for the Self-Steering Committees, Clusters, and Strategic Task Forces. The Una Europa Team Leiden has been set up to support and coordinate all Una Europa activities at Leiden.