The PhD student will be enrolled in the PhD Scholarship Programme and receive a scholarship of € 2,027 per month (gross) from the University of Groningen for a period of four years. Information about the terms and conditions of the PhD Scholarship Programme can be found via: https://www.rug.nl/education/phd-programmes/phd-scholarship-programme/
The Scholarship PhD student will participate in the Graduate School of Science and Engineering training programme for PhD students and will draw up a personal training and supervision plan together with his or her supervisor. The Graduate School also provides a progress monitoring scheme to ensure an efficient PhD trajectory resulting in a PhD thesis within four years. A Career Perspectives curriculum is part of the training, which aims to prepare students for their (academic or non-academic) careers after the PhD trajectory.
How to apply
You may upload your complete application in English as a single PDF-file until 31 October 23:59h / before 1 November 2018 Dutch local time. Please upload your entire application as "letter of motivation" by means of the application form (click on 'Apply' below on the advertisement on the university website).
The submission should contain the following:
1. A cover letter introducing yourself, describing your motivation and qualifications to conduct scientific research, your expectations of the PhD programme and your choice for the particular project.
2. A full CV demonstrating academic excellence, including publications and presentations (if applicable), and a copy of your passport.
3. A certified copy or scan of your MSc diploma (or equivalent; provide a certified University letter stating when your graduation will be if between the application deadline and start of the project) and academic records and a proof of sufficient competence in English.
4. Names and contact details of two academic references.
5. A research proposal of approximately 500-750 words that has been written in collaboration with the prospective supervisor(s).
After the initial selection, only top candidates for each position will be invited to independently write a research proposal of approximately 1500-2000 words in the context of the indicated research direction as listed above. The proposal should focus on the central research question, the proposed method of approaching and answering this question, as well as the project planning.
Publication of the call: 11 October 2018
Deadline for application: 31 October 2018, 23:59 pm
Notification email on shortlist selection: Monday 5 November 2018
Writing assignment top candidates: Monday 19 November 2018
Interviews: 5-7 December 2018
Announcement of selected/rejected candidates: 14 December 2018
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.