At UM, we are continually working to further strengthen our position as a research university. The university has established a number of research institutes and focuses on multidisciplinary, interfaculty research in three key areas: Learning and Innovation, Quality of Life and Europe and a Globalising World.
In addition to international co-operation, collaboration between the Dutch government, business sector and knowledge institutions in the region is also of crucial importance. Such partnerships also help to shape our major campus initiatives:
- The Maastricht Inner-City Campus: combines faculties with a strong focus on immediate and long term societal issues.
- The Maastricht-Randwyck Campus: combines faculties with a strong health and medical focus. The Campus also houses the Maastricht Health Campus - a hotspot for medical biotechnology for life sciences and health; and Scannexus which focuses on groundbreaking brain research, both fundamental and applied.
- The Chemelot Campus in Sittard-Geleen: an open innovation campus specialising in chemistry and bio-based materials.
- Campus Venlo: designed to integrate the development of the province of Limburg with the Euregion and the international economy, through partnerships with companies in the region and industrial and agribusiness research.
- Campus Brussels: opened in 2010, brings high quality post-academic courses to professionals who are active in the European and/or Brussels arena.
- Maastricht Education and Research Centre Pvt Ltd (MERC Pvt Ltd), Bangalore, incorporated in 2009: develops research lines and collaboration initiatives specifically in the area of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences both in India and Maastricht.
With these campus initiatives, UM is hoping to enhance its international appeal for top scientific talent, and foster additional opportunities for research funding. This will also serve to further anchor the university in the regional economy.
Be sure to visit our Research Portal