Foundations and Applications of Emergence (FAEME
) has three open positions for three year postdoctoral fellowships.FAEME
seeks senior postdocs whose research is at the interface between at least two of the institutes: the Van 't Hoff Institute for Molecular Sciences
(HIMS), the Korteweg-de Vries Institute for Mathematics
(KdVI), the Institute of Physics
(IoP), the Institute for Logic, Language and Computation
(ILLC), the Informatics Institute
(IvI), the Institute for Advanced Study
(IAS), the Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics
(IBED) and the Anton Pannekoek Institute for Astronomy
You will join an excellent team of scientists that conducts exciting interdisciplinary research within emergence in areas such as (quantum) information theory, non-equilibrium statistical physics, theory of critical phenomena, experiments on (quantum) systems and living systems, chemical ecology, reaction networks, multiscale modelling, machine learning, complex system theory, agent-based modelling, causal inference, evolutionary game theory, network analysis, phases of matter, biophysics, emergent spacetime, and stochastic methods. Your research to be carried out at FAEME should be aligned with the Core Problem of Emergence
. For ongoing projects within the various research clusters involved within FAEME, see DIEP@UvA
(see also DIEP Fellows
), AI4Science Lab
, and AMCOOL; see also the Project Hub for inspiration
In order to elaborate your cover letter and future research intent, we recommend that you contact researchers associated with FAEME
for potential projects and interest.
We expect you to be able to work with a high degree of independence and serve as a driving force for your research subject. We also expect you to participate and help with FAEME's activities (e.g. seminars, workshops and other educational activities such as the Emergence course
) and contribute to the creation of an exciting research environment.
The position is open to suitable candidates with a PhD in mathematics, physics, chemistry, computer science, logic, biology, ecology or astrophysics. The candidates should have (some) experience as an independent researcher, and excellent organisational, communication and cooperation skills.What are you going to do
You are expected to:
- Perform, high level research (analytical theory, numerical modelling or logical-semantical foundations, experiment, formal proofs etc.) related to the above topics or a closely related field.
- Be able to work together with several other researchers within FAEME from different background (mathematics, physics, chemistry, computer science, logic, biology, ecology or astronomy).
- The research fellow will be integrated within the research interests of at least two of the following institutes: IoP (physics), HIMS (chemistry), IILC (logic), KdV (mathematics), Ivl (computer science), IBED (biodiversity and ecosystem dynamics) and API (astronomy).
- Act as central beacon on the research topic within FAEME.
- Assist in organising workshops, seminars or educational activities related to FAEME topics.