You cannot apply for this job anymore (deadline was 11 Jun 2023).
Browse the current job offers or choose an item in the top navigation above.
If you are looking to contribute to innovative research in Building Physics & Services and make an impact in making our living environment more sustainable and comfortable; like to work in a multidisciplinary environment of specialists in the field of heat, air and moisture transfer, wind, light and acoustics, building behavior simulation, systems, components, and materials, then this opportunity might be the right fit for you.
The position of Lab Manager is embedded in the unit Building Physics and Services. The unit Building Physics and Services comprises six main focus areas, namely: Building Acoustics, Building Lighting, Building Materials, Building Performance, Building Physics, and Building Services. Together they constitute the Building Physics and Services research program, with an outstanding international reputation.
Overall, your priority as manager of the Building Physics and Systems laboratory is to ensure a high level of professionalism, efficiency, and innovation in all aspects of the laboratory's operations. Your primary responsibility is to ensure the smooth management and technical support of all education and research processes in the laboratory. This would involve collaborating closely with your team of five technicians to provide efficient support to students and researchers working in the laboratory or on location.
In addition to the management tasks, note that a large part of your working activities will be working on the laboratory work floor as a technician. You will therefore provide plenty of support to your team of technicians in technical laboratory work. This means that you will be responsible for giving practical's, performing experiments, analyzing data, and troubleshooting equipment or procedures as needed.
To achieve this, you will foster a collaborative and supportive work environment within the team, encouraging open communication, proactive problem-solving, and continuous learning, and development. You will also work closely with other groups in the organization to ensure that the laboratory is equipped with the latest equipment and technology necessary to support innovative research.
Given that the laboratory is dynamic and multicultural, you will take care that all team members are aware of cross-cultural differences and sensitive to working with researchers from different countries and backgrounds. This includes promoting cultural awareness, diversity and inclusion and encouraging open communication so that everyone feels valued and respected.
Finally, you will ensure that the laboratory operates within strict health and safety guidelines, promoting a culture of safety, and ensuring that all team members are trained in safe laboratory practices. This will involve regular risk assessments, maintenance of essential laboratory equipment, and training of team members, students and researchers in the use and handling of potentially hazardous situations and materials.
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
To successfully perform in this role, you should have:
- A bachelor or master's degree in a relevant field (such as building physics, applied physics, mechanical engineering, mechatronics, or HVAC engineering) and/or equivalent experience in laboratory management and technical support.
- A good understanding of building physics and related fields.
- Excellent communication, organizational and critical thinking skills.
- Strong project management skills, with ability to plan, manage and prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Expertise in the use of measurement technology, data analysis, and scientific computing tools.
- Good command of English and Dutch.
- High sense of responsibility.
- Knowledge of and experience in these fields is a big plus:
- Experience in managing a laboratory and a team of technicians.
- Experience in designing, assembling and validation of research test setups.
- Experience in programming in one or more environments (like Python, Labview, C/C++ and SQL).
- Experience in data networks (like TCP/).
- Serial communication (like RS232, RS422, RS485 and MODBUS).
- Building Physics Simulation software (like Radiance, EnergyPlus, Fluent and VABI).
- High Performance Computing.
- CAD and/or BIM software.
Conditions of employment
An exciting position within an international yet personal university. You are right in the middle of the students, on a green campus within walking distance of the central station. Besides beautiful architecture, you will find varied workplaces and excellent sports facilities. We also offer you:
- A monthly salary of minimum €3.974,- to maximum €5.439,- for full-time employment, depending on your knowledge and experience (scale 11 collective labor agreement for Dutch Universities).
- In addition to vacation pay, a structural end-of-year bonus of 8.3%.
- A favorable arrangement for more holidays or a sabbatical.
- A selection model for additional fringe benefits.
- Working hours in consultation for an optimal work-life balance.
- Scope for your talent with advancement prospects and excellent development opportunities such as mentoring, workshops and coaching.
- Partially paid parental leave and reimbursement for commuting expenses, working from home and the internet.
- A generous employer contribution to the favorable ABP pension plan.
Here you can discover even more information about our conditions of employment
. Build on your career at TU/e!