Are you interested in the subject of best research practices
and the broader field of privacy and open science? Are you interested in data science
? Do you want to work at one of Europe's leading research institutes in the field of social and behavioural sciences? Are you looking for a position in which you can assist fellow scientists in adhering to best research practices but also conduct data-science research yourself? The Research Institute of Child Development and Education (RICDE
) at the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
at the University of Amsterdam (UvA) is looking for a junior researcher who will work both as a data steward and a data scientist.
We are looking for a data steward / scientist
: someone with interest in research data management
and the broader field of privacy and open science. Someone who wants to support scientific staff and has affinity with the field of Child Development and Education, someone with enthusiasm for conducting data-science research
within the field of Child Development and Education.What are you going to do?
For approximately 50% of your time, you will work as a data steward: You advise researchers on research data management, including
how to collect, store, and securely share research data. In doing so, you are in close contact with the university’s legal department to discuss the judicial aspects of certain research projects and collaborations. You also work together with the data stewards of the other domains within the faculty and the institute’s ethics review board. You are the first point of contact for researchers for all questions regarding research, including the storage and sharing of research data, privacy, and information security matters. In addition, you may contribute to courses for students and researchers on data management, privacy, and the FAIR principles (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable). In this way, you also contribute to the research field of Child Development and Education.
For the remaining 50% of your time, you will work as a data-science researcher within the field of Child Development and Education. Your research topic is free as long as it aligns with the guidelines of the Social and Behavioural Data Science Centre (SoBe DSC) and is relevant to the field of Child Development and Education. The research will be supervised by staff members of the Methods & Statistics programme group of Child Development and Education.Tasks
As a data steward,
- you will support researchers in project/data management of the research;
- you will support researchers in drawing up legal agreements for collaborations with third parties, and data sharing;
- you will support in making research data publishable (where possible and desired) in accordance with FAIR principles and Open Science principles;
- you will provide information about European laws and regulations (GDPR) and Research Data Management to students and staff within the department of Child Development and Education;
- you will contribute to the development of policy in the field of research data management;
- you will stimulate and monitor whether defined policies are implemented;
- you will evaluate the risks of research projects using the tools developed for this purpose and advise on measures that can mitigate existing risks.
As a data scientist,
- you will conduct data-science research on a topic to be determined that is relevant for Child Development and Education;
- you will disseminate you research in oral (or poster) presentations and scientific publications conferences;
- you will collaborate with other data-science researchers within SoBe DSC, as well as within the UvA Data Science Centre.