Do you hold a strong academic profile in the field of Sustainable Structural Design? Are you ready to take the lead in expanding this line of research? The Department of the Built Environment invites applicants for a new Full Professor position.
You cannot apply for this job anymore (deadline was 30 Nov 2023).
Browse the current job offers or choose an item in the top navigation above.
The Department of the Built Environment invites applicants for a new full professor position (0.8-1.0 FTE) in Sustainable Structural Design, which is embedded within the unit Structural Engineering and Design (SED). The newly appointed full professor is expected to hold a strong academic profile and be able to demonstrate excellence.
The research section on sustainable structural design currently holds a strong record in structural design of bio-based materials and circular design. The newly appointed professor on Sustainable Structural Design takes the lead to further expand this research line. This includes the introduction of new promising construction materials for buildings and infrastructure and understanding the structural needs of it. The research line within this profile thus combines design with engineering, bio-based materials, and circularity.
We expect the newly appointed professor to initiate cross-over collaborations with other research groups in the unit of SED and beyond, including the subdisciplines of architecture, building physics and material science.
Mission, environment, and facilities
Our mission is to educate students and advance science and technology from the perspective of the built environment and for the benefit of humanity. We integrate teaching, research, and design in one educational program to empower students to become thought leaders, to (re)shape cities and the construction industry beyond the limits of current imagination.
To do so, we strongly believe in the ideas of open science, and we create a room for everyone to develop their individual talent by inspiring collaborations. We stimulate collaborations within the department, but also with other departments on campus and the TU/e institute EAISI on AI, the Urban Development Initiative (UDI) to connect to the Brainport region, the EWUU alliance with the universities of Utrecht and Wageningen on circularity. We are a partner in the Eurotech Alliance and participate in the New European Bauhaus initiative.
We offer a broad spectrum of high-end laboratory facilities, including a Structures Laboratory with opportunities for large scale testing, a materials laboratory, and various robots, ranging from table size to large scale.
At Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), we believe diversity broadens our research scope and enhances the quality of our education. For female applicants it is important to know that our Irene Curie fellowship program aims to advance talented female researchers to thrive and be successful in top positions in science. The program addresses the aspirations and needs of women in industry, academia, and research institutes to support their ambition to become a professor at our European top research university.
As a full professor, you hold a strong profile in research and initiate research with the research group. You write research proposals and submit these to (inter)national funding agencies to acquire the needed funding, with support of the departmental research support team. You supervise master and PhD students in the position of chair of a master graduation supervision committee and in the position of promotor, respectively.
As a full professor, you are responsible for an outstanding education vision, that connects scientific research with education. You will teach in both our bachelor and master programs and collaborate with your colleagues in teaching innovations, including challenge based learning and blended learning. You will (co-)develop, teach, and coordinate courses and projects in English. Your expertise is in the field of structural design for buildings and infrastructure. The candidate is expected to be an excellent and inspiring teacher and, as for all permanent staff members, has already obtained, or will obtain, the university teaching qualification (UTQ).
As a full professor, you participate in, or encourage activities for, demonstrating the impact of newly developed technology or other initiatives related to bridging the gap from academia to industry, including support of entrepreneurship, like start-ups coming from your own students.
Finally, we expect leadership skills. For us this means taking responsibility for your own tasks and those of your section, taking your role in supervising students and assisting/supporting colleagues, and participating in managerial tasks of the department.
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
- Motivated researcher, with a PhD in civil or building engineering and a specialization in structural engineering and/or structural design, or a comparable domain.
- Several years of experience as an Associate Professor at a reputed university.
- Scientific authority within your field of expertise, international recognition, invitations by colleagues for keynote and invited lectures and seminars, ability to conduct high quality research supported by a strong publication record.
- Ability to teach, demonstrated by a track record in teaching BSc and/or MSc courses.
- Experience in successfully supervising PhD students to a doctoral degree.
- Clear vision and extensive experience regarding developing education and modern forms of learning within your discipline.
- Strong cooperation skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team.
- Effective communication skills, experience in coaching and mentoring of students and staff, leading a project, and/or chairing a group.
- Demonstrable administrative, organizational and management qualities.
- Ambient awareness, persuasiveness, connecting leadership, entrepreneurship.
- Demonstrable experience in acquiring multiple externally funded research projects.
- Excellent (writing and verbal) proficiency in English.
- In-depth knowledge of parametric design and finite element programs for structural design purposes.
- Holding a 'University Teaching Qualification' or the willingness to obtain such a qualification in the first three years of the appointment;
Conditions of employment
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
A full-time position (0.8-1.0 FTE) in a dynamic and ambitious university with a broad (inter)national network.
- Access to first class laboratory facilities, including laboratory on structural design, acoustics, materials, building physics, BIM (VR/AR) and robotics, including large scale 3D print facilities.
- The opportunity to focus your career on education, research or impact. You can develop your personal ambitions and objections within the strategic objectives of the university.
- For female candidates an Irène Curie Fellowship is in place. As an Irène Curie Fellow, you are entitled to a substantial start-up package to kick-off your career.
- Salary in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- A dedicated mentoring program to help you get to know the university and the Dutch (research) environment.
- High-quality training programs for academic leadership and teaching.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children's day care and sports facilities.
- Partially paid parental leave and an allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A Staff Immigration Team is available for international candidates, as are a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) and partner career support.