If you work for the Dutch government (Rijksoverheid) you add value to society and the well-being of the Dutch population. As a researcher or consultant you have an impact on policy making and solving societal challenges.

Researchers are needed in various disciplines, for example (but not limited to):

  • meteorology and seismology at the Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute (KNMI)
  • epidemiology and biology at the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM)
  • social & behavioral sciences at the Netherlands Institute for Social Research (SCP)
  • criminology at the National Police
  • economics & data science at Statistics Netherlands (CBS)
  • traffic engineering and social geography at the Netherlands Institute for Transport Policy Analysis (KiM)

As a medior researcher you often need to have five to ten years of work experience. Some of your tasks might be:

  • Leading research projects
  • Policy advising
  • Scientific knowledge integration
  • Connecting science and policy
  • Data analysis
  • Writing reports
  • Presenting research outcomes
  • Supervising students & coworkers

You will find most governmental jobs on werkenbijdeoverheid.nl and werkenvoornederland.nl.


  • 5-10 years of working experience
  • Good research skills
  • Subject expertise
  • Political sensitivity
  • Persuasiveness
  • Analysis skills
  • Networking & collaboration skills
  • Creativity
  • Project management skills
  • Dutch language skills

Most of the institutions operate in Dutch. Although English is the second common language in the Netherlands, in the governmental sector Dutch language skills are almost always necessary. Writing Dutch policy papers or research publications can be part of your job.

Salary indication

Scale 10-13 - wetenschappelijk medewerker, Government Collective Labour Agreement (CAO Rijk)