The Jheronimus Academy of Data Science (JADS) constitutes a unique concept in which an integrated approach to Data Science is created by combining the exact sciences of the Eindhoven University of Technology, with the social sciences of Tilburg University. JADS boasts three campuses at Tilburg, Eindhoven and Den Bosch.
The JADS Campus at the Mariënburg convent in Den Bosch revolves around research, education and valorisation on data entrepreneurship. The Den Bosch campus has an opening for a scientific programmer.
The scientific programmer will support the individual JADS researchers by designing, constructing and rolling out experimental prototypes. The technology level of these prototypes typically resides between TL-3 and TL-8.
The JADS researchers are involved in various national and European research projects in the field of data analysis, data engineering and data entrepreneurship. The research finds its application in areas such as agro food, health care, manufacturing, services, and crime and safety.
Moreover, the scientific programmer will act as amanuensis during tutorials, and he / she will play a pivotal role in the Proof-of-Concept lab space that students and researchers can experiment with in the application of data science in IoT setups, setting up of data pipelines and data lakes, Big data processing platforms (Spark, Hadoop and Kafka), and so on.</p
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
We are looking for someone with a relevant completed BSc (HBO), MSc (WO) or PhD degree or demonstrable HBO / WO work or think level:
• who has affinity with data science research and the relevant tools and services;
• who is proficient in one or more modern programming languages (Python, Java, PHP, and / or R) and has experience with (No) SQL databases, and exchange formats such as XML or JSON;
• who has knowledge of machine learning / deep learning and data mining;
• that has experience or is at least familiar with ontologies, Linked Data and formats such as RDF;
• that has a communicative and accessible attitude and can function well in a team;
• who is flexible and able to work independently;
• who is strongly motivated to deliver a usable and maintainable product;
• with a good command of Dutch and English.</p
Conditions of employment
A full time temporary appointment for a period of 1-2 years, with an intermediate evaluation after 9 months;
A monthly gross salary ranging from € 2.835,- € 4.978,- (scale 9, 10 or 11 CAO Dutch Universities) according to your level of experience;
Tight collaboration of academia with industry with access to real data and domain
expertise.Support for your personal development and career planning including courses, summer schools, conference visits etc.;
A broad package of fringe benefits, e.g. excellent technical infrastructure, child daycare and excellent sports facilities, extra holiday allowance (8%, May), and end of year bonus (8.3%, December).</p
More information about the content of the vacancy please email prof.dr. Willem Jan van den Heuvel or dr. Martin Atzmüller email: w.j.a.m.v.d.heuvel[at]jads.nl
For more information about the employment conditions contact Charl Kuiters (HR advisor), email: c.m.[at]jads.nl, or by telephone: +31 40 247 2321.Application
Applications can be done via the apply now button on this page. Mind that you are transferred to the website of Tilburg University, applications via TU/e cannot be taken into consideration.
The application should consist of the following parts:
- Cover letter explaining your motivation and qualifications for the position;
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae;
- List of software developed (links to GitHub);
- A copy or a link to your BSc, MSc or PhD thesis;
- Names of at least two referees.
The selection process with start immediately and will continue until the position gets filled. The position is fully funded and immediately available. The start date is flexible.