You cannot apply for this job anymore (deadline was 28 Oct 2019).
Browse the current job offers or choose an item in the top navigation above.
As a postdoctoral researcher you will be responsible for one of the five subprojects of the NWO-funded VICI project entitled 'Source of Life: Water Management in the Premodern Middle East (7th-15th century)'. This project studies the interrelationship between water installations, governance, and legal and cultural frameworks in five Middle Eastern cities (Basra, Baghdad, Mosul, Damascus and Cairo) from the first Arab conquests to Ottoman rule (7th-15th C). By integrating both written and material sources and employing a comparative approach, it seeks to:
1) map the institutional fabric of premodern Middle Eastern cities by taking water as a key service; and
2) identify incentives for institutional innovation in premodern urban water governance.
Please vind a more detailed description of the project here.
Subproject 4 - Water installations and waterways: An archaeological approach
Your postdoctoral research approaches the two main objectives of the project (see above) from an archaeological perspective. You will have three main responsibilities within the project:
1) to analyse geospatial data and remaining visual features in the landscape of Iraq around Basra, Baghdad and Mosul, through the outcomes of the aerial survey based on photography and satellite imagery;
2) to examine archaeological publications and reports and contact archaeological teams for all five cities to gather data relevant to Source of Life and interpret these findings for the rest of the team; and
3) to supervise the GIS environment in close cooperation with the GIS specialists from the Radboud Humanities Lab.
You will contribute research results to the project's database. Your findings should be presented in at least four major articles (some of which co-authored) in international scientific journals, and you are also expected to contribute to wider communication of the project's results. Furthermore, you will cooperate closely with all other subprojects and participate in the project's programme of meetings as a speaker and organiser.
Fixed-term contract: You will be appointed for an initial period of 12 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended with another 3 years.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 22,000 students and 5,000 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent and collaboration. You have a part to play!
Houtlaan 4, 6525 XZ, Nijmegen
We like to make it easy for you, sign in for these and other useful features: