We are looking for a research assistant for the project 'Myxofibrosarcoma; from bench to bedside'. Myxofibrosarcomas are rare mesenchymal tumours. Despite intensive treatment, the local recurrence rate is high and some patients develop multiple recurrences, resulting in higher limb amputation rates compared to other soft tissue sarcomas. In 10-40% of myxofibrosarcomas, metastases occur, with a poor median survival of only 12 months. Therefore, in depth knowledge of myxofibrosarcomas is needed to improve morbidity and mortality outcomes of patients with myxofibrosarcomas by enabling them to benefit from the current breakthroughs in oncology such as immunotherapy and targeted therapy.
To make myxofibrosarcoma research possible we need to perform a systematic review of the (pre)clinical results of targeted therapy and immunotherapy in myxofibrosarcomas to identify additional targets of interest. Next, we will collect clinical data and tumor material of myxofibrosarcomas nationwide by collaboration with the Netherlands Cancer Registry and the nationwide pathology archive PALGA.
We will furthermore develop novel myxofibrosarcoma models for in vitro and in vivo research.
We expect to be able to expand the project to a 3 year project which could lead to a PhD. Further in vitro and in vivo research will then be performed to find new treatment strategies for this tumortype.Tasks and responsibilities
- Perform a systematic review of preclinical and clinical results of targeted and immunotherapy within the myxofibrosarcoma field.
- Collect tumor material and clinical data of myxofibrosarcomas nationwide (PALGA/IKNL).
- Set up a database on myxofibrosarcoma material and clinical data.
- Develop models for in vitro and in vivo research.
- Search for potential biomarkers and targets for treatment.