We are looking for an enthusiastic and ambitious Assistant Professor (Universitair Docent) to perform preclinical therapeutic studies for inherited neurometabolic diseases.
This large group of more than 600 different recessive conditions present with central and peripheral nervous system features (epilepsy, dementia, neuropathy, sensory deficiency) which are usually progressive in nature. For an increasing number of these conditions (n>100) therapeutic options are available, varying from nutritional supplements, medical diets, small molecule therapies, organ transplant, stem cell and gene therapies. Only a subset is currently included in the newborn screening panels.
In this position, you will focus on preclinical therapeutic studies for inherited neurometabolic diseases including pyridoxine-dependent epilepsy, Glucose-1 transporter deficiency, congenital disorders of glycosylation and mitochondrial disorders. Modelling these diseases in cell lines including patient's induced pluripotent stem cell derived neurons and model organisms is key in your program. This also involves phenotyping with identification of outcome parameters, high throughput compound screening, gene-based therapies (e.g. CrispR-Cas9) and RNA-based therapies (e.g. anti-sense oligonucleotides). Efficacy studies will include structural, functional and biochemical parameters, using experimental strategies like omics-based approaches, neuro-imaging, neurophysiologic studies. The content of this work is in line with the goals of the Dutch consortium 'United for Metabolic Diseases'
.Tasks and responsibilities
The successful candidate is a translational researcher who will:
- Design, supervise and perform a scientific program in the area of in vitro and in vivo translational neuroscience, metabolic medicine and molecular biology.
- Collaborate with colleagues in multiple disciplines in fundamental, clinical and translational science.
- Generate and analyses the data for scientific publications and presents findings at scientific meetings.
- Supervise researchers at the Bsc, MSc, MD, PhD and post-doc level.
- Teach courses in related Radboudumc study programs.
- Work in a stimulating and highly ambitious research environment.
- Apply for funding at the local, national and institutional levels.