You cannot apply for this job anymore.
Browse the current job offers or choose an item in the top navigation above.
Are you fascinated by the effect of turbulence on wind energy production? Are you highly motivated to do a PhD in a dynamic research environment? We are looking for a PhD student to study flow dynamics in wind farms using state-of-the-art computer simulations!
Advancements in wind turbine technology have resulted in growing use of wind energy to reduce carbon emissions. Modern wind turbines and wind farms are becoming so large that their performance is affected by atmospheric turbulence flow phenomena that are not yet well explored. In this PhD project, you will develop novel large-eddy simulation techniques to study how atmospheric turbulence and wind-wave interactions affect the power production and structural loading experienced by wind turbines in an offshore environment.
University of Twente (UT)
We seek highly motivated early-career researchers with an excellent background in fluid dynamics, mechanical engineering, computational physics, applied physics, or closely related areas! Programming experience (Fortran, C/C++, MATLAB, Python) is a plus. Must enjoy working in an internationally oriented environment and contributing to the research of team-members. We welcome strong interpersonal skills and interest in sharing knowledge at conferences and meetings. Proficiency in English is required, both spoken and written.
Conditions of employment
This position plays a key role in the wind farm project and is embedded in a dynamic research group with colleagues working on similar topics.
- Full-time 4-year PhD position.
- Full status as an employee, including pension and health care benefits. Salary and conditions are in accordance with the collective labor agreement for Dutch universities.
- We provide a stimulating, modern research environment with world-class research facilities, including access to top supercomputers.
- A personal development program within the Twente Graduate School, combined with excellent mentorship
- Gross monthly salary of € 2.395 in the first year, increasing each year up to € 3.061 in the fourth year.
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%
- Between 29 and 41 leave days in case of full-time employment.
- The university is situated on a green campus with facilities for sports and other activities.
- Researchers from outside the Netherlands may qualify for a tax-free allowance equal to 30% of their taxable salary (the 30% tax regulation).