As an assistant professor you will work in the Biomechanical Engineering (BE) department of the Faculty of Engineering Technology. The Department of Biomechanical Engineering consists of over 80 members and is engaged in a broad range of biomedical research topics. Our department has a strong focus on prostheses, wearable exoskeletons, artificial organs, thoracic and spinal surgery, surgical robots, and rehabilitation robots. Within the recent professorship of Biomedical Device Design and Production, we focus on the development of biomedical devices for a variety of clinically-relevant applications such as (minimally invasive) surgery, orthopedic implants, point of care devices and rehabilitation. Our approach in successful development is to cover the entire trajectory from idea to clinical evaluation including verification of Medical Device Regulation demands. To this end, we apply various methods including a systematic design method, experimental research, human factors, ergonomics, biomechanical modeling, CAD design and prototyping (including 3D-printing). For example, we have developed a waterjet drill for orthopedic bone drilling for which we first determined experimentally the relation between waterjet parameters and bone and subsequently developed a prototype which was pre-clinically evaluated by surgeons in simulated surgery. In collaboration with industrial leaders and SME, we also develop ecosystems to bring the viable biomedical devices to the clinicians and patients.
We are part of the [TechMed Centre](https://www.utwente.nl/en/techmed/), and have an extensive network of clinical institutions with whom we collaborate. To learn more about the research within the Department of Biomechanical Engineering check our website: https://www.utwente.nl/en/et/be/.
We are looking for a promising Assistant Professor who will be working on topics within the broad area of mechanical design for biomedical applications. The position is funded by a national program that strives for more university lecturers in engineering. We are looking for somebody who connects and strengthens our research and educational program on biomedical device design and production, but who will be complementary to our department's expertise.
The candidate is expected to participate in the teaching of courses offered by the department at Bachelor and at Master level to the educational programs technical medicine, industrial design, mechanical engineering, biomedical technology and the new cross-faculty master program Robotics.
In time, there are opportunities to grow into the role of Associate Professor. All your work takes place on the beautiful, green campus in Twente. Want to know more about the UT?
Take a look here: [Our campus](https://www.utwente.nl/en/campus/)
University of Twente (UT)
- PhD degree and expertise in a field relevant for the position.
- Passion for teaching and you hold a University Teaching Qualification for Dutch Universities, a similar qualification, or are willing to obtain this.
- Ability to supervise, train, and support junior researchers.
- Ability to define and pursue an own research direction, evidenced by the track record and recommendations.
- Ability to design and deliver clear and engaging education.
- Ability to collaborate in research, educational and organizational projects.
- Good communication skills and an excellent command of English.
- If applicable, commitment to learn Dutch to interact with students in Dutch.
- Interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Preferable experience in writing research proposals and obtaining external funding.
Conditions of employment
We offer a full-time position for 1 year, with the prospect of a permanent position after a positive evaluation:
- A full-time position with 30% tax ruling option and a pension scheme.
- A gross salary between € 3.821,- and € 5.943,- per month, depending on experience and qualifications;
- Additional benefits include a holiday allowance of 8 % of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3 %, with a generous annual leave plan.
- Professional and personal development programs.
- Well-equipped labs with professional lab technicians, like the [Neuromechanics](https://www.utwente.nl/en/et/be/research/neuro-mech-eng-group), [Surgical Robotics](https://surgicalroboticslab.nl) and [Wearable Robotics labs](https://www.wearableroboticslab.nl).
- Possibilities to collaborate with nearby cilnical institutions.
- Proximity to Enschede, a mid-size city with a large social offer, immersed in the nature of the Twente region.
- If you do not speak Dutch, we offer courses to learn the Dutch language.
- A family-friendly institution that offers parental leave (both paid and unpaid) and career support for partners.
For questions about this position, you can contact Prof. Herman van der Kooij (email@example.com).
Applications must include the following documents:
- A video (2-minute max) describing your scientific interests, why you applied for this position, and how you connect and could strengthen our research and development in mechanical design.
- A cover letter (2-page max) specifying how your experience and skills match the position as well as summarizing work. This letter should also include a research and teaching statement, reflecting your ambition and vision.
- A CV including English, proficiency level, nationality, visa requirements, date of birth, experience overview, and publication list.
- Contact information for at least two academic references. A support letter will be requested only if your application is considered.
Please, only apply via the web platform before February 27th 2022 and not via email since only the former will be considered.