We are looking for a Practical Lecturer who can strengthen our practical team Chemistry involved in teaching Bachelor and Master students in various degree programmes. You will be involved in the organization, running, and continuous improvement of practicals in multiple programs
You cannot apply for this job anymore (deadline was 26 Jun 2022).
Browse the current job offers or choose an item in the top navigation above.
We are looking for a Practical Lecturer who can strengthen our practical team Chemistry involved in teaching Bachelor and Master students in various degree programmes. You will be involved in the organization, running, and continuous improvement of practicals in multiple programs, with a focus on the bachelors in chemistry and chemical engineering. Most of these practicals are scheduled as condensed courses and have a large number of participants; as a result, you can expect periods of high workload and daily, intensive contact with students and other lecturers and teaching staff during courses, alternated with periods that allow for more flexible planning, during which you can prepare for upcoming practicals. Organisation and management of chemistry practicals; the lecturer will be responsible for managing practical courses, organisation and training of assistants, management of student groups, the safety instructions, and the grading process.
The tasks of the Practical Lecturer will include:
- the preparation and organization of (organic) chemistry practicals dealing mainly with synthesis and analysis
- prepare and update course and instruction material and manuals, manage the online learning environment
- give specific lectures
- overseeing adherence to lab safety protocols and securing safe working conditions for students and staff
- managing the allocation of students to practical groups, monitoring student attendance, and accommodate students with special needs
- contributing to the development/revision of new/existing practical courses
- coordinating all of the above activities with the course coordinators, the practical coordinator and fellow practical lecturers
- Innovate and update current educational elements such as didactics, learning objectives, grading processes and is capable of signalling crucial improvement points related to specific courses
- if required by the program, the lecturer is also motivated to supervise bachelor and master theses. For this, an affiliation with a research group is facilitated.
University of Groningen
We encourage you to apply if you:
- have a PhD degree in the area of chemistry or a related field
- have experience in teaching or supervision of students, for example, as a teaching assistant, tutor or lecturer
- experience with different teaching methods, such as lectures, tutorials, problem based learning and practical settings
- have good command of spoken and written English
- are a team player with good communication skills
- are able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment
- exhibit a talent for organization, flexibility and time management skills, to be able to cope with fluctuations in workload
- in possession of a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ/BKO). If do not have a UTQ/BKO, you will start as Teacher/Docent 4 and have to start with the UTQ/BKO within a year.
Conditions of employment
Fixed-term contract: 12 months.
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary with a minimum of € 3,821 up to a maximum of € 5,230 gross per month (salary scale 11, starting salary depends on qualifications and experience) for a full-time position. UFO profile Teacher/Docent 3
- a holiday allowance and end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of youyearly salary
- a minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment
- training opportunities to further develop your didactic capabilities
- an appointment for one year that will be extended indefinitely based on a positive performance review and starting the UTQ/BKO.
Consider our website for more information about the conditions of employment at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/
Faculty of Science and Engineering
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the university is currently in the top 100 of several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
This position will be embedded in FSE’s School of Science and Engineering (SSE), which offers 14 Bachelor degree programmes and 26 Master degree programmes to approximately 7100 students. In particular, you will become part of the expertise lab-group chemistry (X-lab chemistry). This group currently consist of 2 other lecturers and 7 supporting staff.