Climate-smart food systems are an integral part of the solution for addressing climate change. Knowledge of where, when, and how to improve the performance, sustainability, and resilience of food systems in a changing climate is a growing area of interest for research, policy, and financial investment. This requires spatial and temporal modelling of the impact of a changing climate on food systems and vice versa.
Food system models represent the different activities within food systems (such as production, processing, distribution, and consumption) and incorporate multiple drivers and feedback loops with social/human systems and environmental systems. Many of these activities, drivers, and feedback loops are spatial processes; there is great potential for further integration of state-of-the-art Earth observation and other sources of spatial data into such models.
Modelling multiscale interactions with ecological processes and ecosystem services as well as modelling the outcomes at multiple levels provides insight about plausible transitions towards circular and climate-smart food systems. Developing this modelling toolkit is a scientific opportunity with high societal value. To address this, we are looking for an Assistant Professor on "Spatial modelling for climate-smart food systems"
You will contribute to ITC's innovative geospatial research and education for societal impact by:
- Conducting research on the use of Earth observation and other spatial data for modelling climate-smart food systems.
- Developing, coordinating, and teaching courses on modelling in our education programmes.
- Co-supervising PhD candidates and MSc students.
- Publishing your research in scientific journals, conferences, and open data/code platforms.
- Collaborating with ITC colleagues and your broader network to demonstrate the scientific and societal impact of (y)our work.
- Joining or leading international projects, providing you with exciting opportunities to use and extend your network.
- Communicating about your research and education to a broad audience.
- Extending our network.