The Department of Electrical Engineering of the Eindhoven University of Technology has an open PhD position in Co-integration of quantum communication with PQC key systems.
The PhD position is one of the 08 doctoral candidates (DC) positions within the QUARC (Quantum resistant communications: Advance Learning in applied PQC Training) project (www.QUARC.eu). QUARC is a European Doctoral Network Industrial Doctorate funded by the European Commission under the Horizon 2021 Marie Sklodowska-Curie Action (MSCA). The MSCA DN programme offers a highly competitive and attractive salary and working conditions. The overarching objective of QUARC is to provide high-level training in the field of quantum secure communications to a new generation of doctoral candidates.
Quantum Computers are about to be accessible to the public. The ability for Quantum Computers to break classic cryptography protocols is pushing the adoption of Post-Quantum Cryptography (PQC). PQC protocols are resistant against quantum computers. During 2022, and after several years of research, the first standards on PQC will be made available to the public. Although the EU has some scattered activities on PQC, it has not yet addressed the need for PQC experts in application of this emerging technology. This is the driving force for QUARC, a Doctoral Network Industrial Doctorate on PQC, providing interdisciplinary and integral training and research in PQC. QUARC will train 8 Doctoral Candidates (DCs) through an outstanding training program that includes coordinated research in different cryptography areas, focusing on implementation. QUARC is an industrial doctorate, and besides a 50% of their time located in an industrial partner, each DC will be also exposed to a set of training initiatives in the areas of relevance for industry and receive the support of an external advisory board made out of experts in the field. QUARC establishes a well-balances, interdisciplinary, intersectoral and innovative training network, with an overarching theme of quality and edginess: research as a training tool to push the current state-of-the-art in PQC.
QUARC comprises a leading company and university in the field NVIDIA Denmark, NVIDIA Israel, Aalborg University, Denmark, Universidad Complutense Madrid, Spain, and Eindhoven University of Technology, the Netherlands.
QUARC will train the recruited DCs through an outstanding training program. All DCs will be enrolled in PhD programmes (applicants have to fulfil entry conditions of those programs). Moreover, all DCs will enjoy 18 months mandatory secondment in the workplace of other consortium partners Moreover, QUARC also offers a continuous educational backbone over the whole duration of the project.
Marie Curie DN ID Project
This is position DC8: Autonomous offloads in PQC systems
Objective: To investigate the introduction of autonomous offloads to PQC ciphers in order to reduce exposure to layer 5 or layer 4, and hence reduce or eliminate the offload dependence. To investigate strategies to copy out-of-sequence packets and to evaluate its impact on CPU utilization reduction. As the project progresses research questions concerning quantum secure networks will be considered as well.
Start date: As soon as possible.
Recruiting Institution: Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) - Netherlands.
PhD Enrolment: Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) - Netherlands.
Main supervisor: Prof. Idelfonso Tafur Monroy. E-mail: i.tafur.monroy[at]tue.nl.
Research group: Quantum and Terahertz Systems (Department of Electrical Engineering).
QUARC is financially supported by the European Commission under the Marie SkłodowskaCurie Actions (MSCA). The benefits of being an DC of QUARC include:
• DCs will work in a stimulating, creative and internationally learning environment through an unique interdisciplinary research training program.
• DCs will be enrolled in top-quality PhD programs.
• QUARC training program offers unique, leading edge infrastructure and expertise, which is not available at a single place.
• DCs will be advised by excellent group leaders - they are all outstanding in their research and trainings.
• The QUARC consortium was generated with the firm purpose of training DCs so that they can enter the labour market both in academic and non-academic environments.
• All DCs will be exposed to very different and complementary research environment in both academia and industrial participating organisations.
• DCs will spend 18 months of their recruitment time in different institutions of the network.
• Strong involvement of industrial partners in training activities.
• DCs will have the opportunity to acquire outstanding complementary training in transferable skills (e.g. presentation techniques, networking, publishing, and outreach activities) as well as leadership, innovation and entrepreneurial skills.
• DCs will have the opportunity to acquire lifetime skills and optimum opportunities to build and extend your international network available to you throughout your professional career.
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
The applicants must, at the date of the call deadline, comply with the following eligibility criteria:
To hold a MSc degree (or equivalent) in Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics or a related field.
- The candidate is expected to have experience and expertise in one or more of the following subjects.
- Knowledge of postquantum cryptography is an asset.
- Knowledge and skill in programming for GPU, DPU, FPGAs is an asset.
- Knowledge of classical cybersecurity systems.
- Knowledge of fibre-based quantum key distribution or cryptography or quantum. communications is an asset.
To have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
- At the time of recruitment by the host organization, candidates should be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience1) of their research career.
- Candidates must comply with the European Commission's mobility rule, meaning at the time of recruitment by the host organization, they must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the host organization for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the starting employment contract date. Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account. The positions are open to all nationalities.
- To be proficient in English language both written and spoken.
- Self-motivation in scientific research.
Conditions of employment
The MSCA ITN programme offers a highly competitive and attractive salary and working conditions.
The successful candidates will receive a salary in accordance with the MSCA regulations for DCs.
- Full-time employment for a minimum of four years (PhD).
- You will have free access to high-quality training programs for research and valorisation, professional. development courses for PhD students, and didactical courses of the TEACH training program.
- PhD: - A gross monthly salary of between €2,395 (first year) and €3,061 (last year).
- Benefits are provided in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement of the Dutch Universities.
- This PhD position includes a broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes).
- Family-friendly initiatives are in places, such as an international.
Contact: prof.dr.ir (i.tafur.monroy[at]tue.nl) for more details - Applications by e-mail are not accepted!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now' button on this page.
The application should include:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Submit you curriculum vitae, including a list any of your publications and the contact information of two references.
- A copy of your Masters Thesis.
- Copies of diplomas and course grades.
Please note that you can upload 1 document of 10 Mb so if you have more than 1 document you will have to combine them.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. The screening will continue until the position has been filled.