Spin-off in formation Heratec: Fuel cell materials and testing engineer /
You cannot apply for this job anymore (deadline was 12 Mar 2023).
Browse the current job offers or choose an item in the top navigation above.
Technical co-founder (HBO+)
Heratec, an upcoming spin-off of the Eindhoven University of Technology, is dedicated to redefining the limits of electrochemical devices. By precisely controlling the chemical composition and microstructure of our electrodes, we unlock previously unattainable levels of performance and reliability.
We are searching for a fuel cell testing engineer with a materials science or engineering background and a hands-on mentality that can speed up the production, testing and scaling of our unique electrode with patterned wettability. Over the course of this one-year period, you will become part of an inventive research team situated at the Eindhoven University of Technology. If all goes well, the work will be transferred to the founding startup called Heratec, in which you will actively participate as member of the founding team. In this way, you can make a meaningful contribution to the deployment of renewable energy technologies.
As fuel cell materials and testing engineer, you will be able to make use of an existing electron beam grafting technology to manufacture porous electrodes with tailored wettability. To judge the effectiveness of these materials, you will be responsible for the integration and performance testing of the developed porous electrodes in a 25 cm2 single-cell hydrogen fuel cell, as well as the mentorship of interns and students. With your expertise, you can manufacture gas diffusion layers with patterned wettability varying in size of 5 to 200 cm2, troubleshoot and scrutinize fuel cell experiments, spearhead the scaling of special equipment for the manufacturing of samples, and come up with creative ways to improve the current manufacturing and operating process.
After the one-year contract, you have successfully scaled up the manufacturing process to consistently produce electrode samples of 200 cm2, identified the long-term performance of the material under key stressor operating conditions, and guided two initial pilot tests of the material within the next-generation fuel cell stack of leading manufacturers.
We anticipate you to be able to act autonomously and proactively for the purpose of the technical advancement of the soon-to-be-established spin-off. The official language of this position is English.
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
From our future colleague we expect:
- You have a completed education at HBO or WO level in the direction of chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, material science or related field and a background with operating hydrogen fuel cells;
- You have at least several years of relevant work experience;
- You are excited to work in a dynamic, early-phase spin-off;
- You are able to work independently and in a team and have excellent communications skills;
- You have a good command of the Dutch and English language in word and writing;
- You are customer oriented and have a flexible attitude, are a team player, analytical, creative, proactive and solution-oriented;
- Having experience with electron beam-induced grafting is a plus.
Conditions of employment
We offer you an exciting position within an international yet personal university. You are right in the middle of the students, on a green campus within walking distance of the central station. Besides beautiful architecture, you will find varied workplaces and excellent sports facilities. We also offer you:
- A monthly salary for full-time employment, depending on your knowledge and experience (scale 8 or 9 collective labour agreement for Dutch Universities);
- A contract for the period of one year;
- In addition to vacation pay, a structural end-of-year bonus of 8.3%;
- A favorable arrangement for more holidays or a sabbatical;
- A selection model for additional fringe benefits;
- Working hours in consultation for an optimal work-life balance;
- Partially paid parental leave and reimbursement for commuting expenses, working from home and the internet;
- A generous employer contribution to the favorable ABP pension plan.
you can discover even more information about our conditions of employment.