The Computer Science department of the University of Twente is expanding. Therefore, we are hiring 6 new faculty members, to strengthen our research in Artificial Intelligence, Cyberphysical systems and Software Engineering in the domains of (1) e-Health and (2) energy and sustainability. These new faculty members will be assigned in different research groups, but inter-group collaboration with other researchers working on these themes is considered essential to reach our overall ambitions. This position focuses on research in energy and sustainability.
The DACS mission is to contribute to the development of responsible communication networks by performing top-quality research and by educating talented students. Our society is increasingly relying on networks such as the Internet and 5G/6G for a wide range of critical applications. Ensuring the security, trustworthiness, and resilience of these networks is of the utmost importance. Furthermore, as ICT systems including communication infrastructure are consuming an increasing share of our worldwide energy consumption, a drastic increase of energy efficiency of communication networks is inevitable. To get a detailed understanding of the operation and (mis)use of our core Internet and its connected mobile and wireless communication infrastructures, we design and execute methods to measure and analyse the traffic flowing over these networks, and to map the distribution of services on the Internet. We use the knowledge gained from this to improve security and resilience, e.g., by detecting anomalies and attacks, and identifying single points of failure. We also model and analyse networks and network technology to comprehend their efficiency and performance. Further, we design architectures, protocols, and algorithms for existing and future network systems and ensure that they provide the required functionality, performance, security, and resilience in a sustainable manner. We are a group of around 30 people, including (full/associate/assistant) professors, part-time professors, and Ph.D.-candidates. We would like to extend our team with an assistant professor in the broad field of energy-efficient communication networks.
At DACS, we strongly believe that scientists can really excel when working as a team. Therefore, we closely cooperate as a team, with the outside world, and across disciplines. We expect the new assistant professor to develop and explore a new subdiscipline within the team and to contribute to acquiring research funding. As we are experiencing significant growth in the number of Ph.D. candidates, you will be involved in their day-to-day supervision. With respect to education, DACS teaches to a wide range of students at various levels. At bachelor level, we teach basic networking courses to Technical Computer Science and Electrical Engineering students as well as introductory courses and minors to students from other programs at the University of Twente. At master level, we teach more advanced courses for the Cybersecurity and Internet Science & Technology specializations of the Computer Science master program, and for the Electrical Engineering and Embedded Systems master programmes. We expect the new assistant professor to contribute to our education in networking, and to take responsibility for their own (part of a) course, e.g., by developing a new course on sustainable networking.
University of Twente (UT)
- You have a strong interest and have shown ability to collaborate in an academic, multidisciplinary environment;
- You have a PhD degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related discipline;
- You have demonstrated the ability to perform high-quality research in a field relevant to the theme of energy and sustainability and to research done in the DACS group;
- You have shown a willingness to acquire external funding and are prepared to expand your skills in this respect;
- You have good communication skills and are a team player;
- You are fluent in English (knowledge of, or willingness to learn Dutch is an advantage);
- You have a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) or equivalent, or you are willing to acquire one within three years.
Conditions of employment
- We offer a permanent position with a one-year probationary period (formally a 1-year contract with prospect of permanent contract).
- The position comes with a start-up package that allows you to appoint one PhD student.
- Our terms of employment are in accordance with the Dutch Collective Labor Agreement for Universities (CAO) and include a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%.
- Depending on your relevant background and experience, the gross monthly salary on a full-time basis ranges from € 3974,- (scale 11) to € 6181,- (scale 12) gross per month.
- A minimum of 29 leave days in case of full-time employment based on a formal workweek of 38 hours. A fulltime employment in practice means 40 hours a week, therefore resulting in 96 extra leave hours on an annual basis.
- A solid pension scheme.
- Free access to sport facilities on campus.
- We are a family-friendly institution, which offers parental leave for both parents (both paid and unpaid) and career support for partners.
- We appreciate diversity of profiles, cultures, and backgrounds, and promote an inclusive working culture.
- Furthermore, we offer excellent professional and personal development programs.
- Finally, you work in a lively, inspiring, and dynamic working environment in an organization focusing on internationalization, where you have a high degree of responsibility and independence.
Are you interested in joining our team? Please submit your application before April 15, 2023
via the "Apply Now" button below, including:
- a curriculum vitae (including, list of publications, research and teaching statement);
- a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- 2 or 3 of your publications which you deem most relevant to this vacancy.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion at our university. We encourage applications from all sections of society.
Short online interviews are planned in the middle of May. Full job interviews are scheduled on campus in June.
You are welcome to contact Dr. Suzan Bayhan (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Prof. dr. ir. Geert Heijenk (email@example.com) for any questions you might have.Related vacancies
The other open positions of the Computer Science department related to e-Health and energy and sustainability are: