Faculty of Economic
You cannot apply for this job anymore (deadline was 3 Apr 2023).
Browse the current job offers or choose an item in the top navigation above.
Faculty of Economics and Business
The Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB) empowers and connects students, academics and external stakeholders to have a joint positive impact on regional, national and global economic and business challenges in science and society. It is our mission to offer excellent education and to execute excellent and impactful research. We therefore aim to attract talented staff and invest in them by providing clear career paths.
The academic education track
FEB is committed to providing excellent education and to continuous educational improvement and leadership in education. FEB’s Academic Education Track (AET) therefore acknowledges and rewards excellent teaching performance, provides career opportunities for education-focused academic staff, and has the goal to continuously improve and innovate our education.
Staff members in the AET of FEB form a community in which they can share their insights and learnings with regard to education and their other experiences in the education track. Positions in the AET at the Faculty of Economics and Business are temporary positions subject to a tenure decision at the end of the fifth year. The tenure requirements include criteria with respect to education, research, and citizenship and service; with the emphasis on education.
Within the Department of Marketing (Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Groningen, The Netherlands), one full-time position is vacant for an Assistant Professor in the academic education track.
The Department of Marketing is one of the highly regarded and productive marketing groups in Europe. The department is responsible for courses in marketing for students in Bachelor and Master programs – in particular on Marketing Management, and Marketing Analytics & Data Science – at the Faculty of Economics and Business. In addition, the department participates in the Research Master program, a challenging 2-year Master program intended for students aiming at a PhD.
The quality and productivity of the department is evidenced by the very high ratings it consistently obtains in research evaluations. The RUG Customer Insights Center and the Groningen Digital Business Center that are affiliated with the department form a bridge between science and practice, translating into collaboration and data collection opportunities for department members.
The new tenure track Assistant Professor (AET) is expected to strengthen the position of the Department of Marketing, in particular with respect to our educational programs. In general, we seek candidates who are committed to excellence in teaching. With your excellent teaching you will participate in and contribute to the educational programs of the Department of Marketing, with a focus on Marketing Management, but also Marketing Analytics and Data Science. Specific educational tasks will depend on the expertise and experience of the candidate.
During the AET, a 70% (teaching and education management), 20% (research), 10% (development time) division of time allocation is used. Afterwards, time is allocated according to regular faculty procedures (comparable to US research schools).
University of Groningen
Hence, to qualify, you…
• have an appealing and inspiring vision on teaching
• are an enthusiastic and effective lecturer with excellent teaching skills, as demonstrated by teaching evaluations
• have experience with individual student supervision, small group teaching (seminars, workshops, interactive teaching formats), and large group lecturing
• have knowledge of modern teaching and assessment methods
• have a University Teaching Qualification or are willing to obtain this qualification
• have PhD degree in Marketing or a related discipline
• are a good scientific researcher, preferably evidenced by one or more publications in international journals
• have organizational qualities and excellent communication skills
• have good interpersonal skills and the ability to successfully work both individually and in a team
• are sufficiently fluent in English (C2).
Conditions of employment
We offer the Assistant Professor in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary with a minimum of € 3,974 gross per month (salary scale 11). Depending on background and experience the midterm evaluation to Assistant Professor level 1 (salary scale 12) will be after three years. Around five years after appointment the Assistant Professor’s performance is subject to a final assessment procedure to the position of Associate Professor by the Committee for Internal Promotions (CIP). Assistant Professors in the Academic Education Track program receive a budget of 5,000 Euros (in total) to spend on e.g. hiring student assistants, travelling, staying abroad, following trainings and courses on teaching (e.g. case-based teaching, including diversity and inclusion in teaching, using gaming) and attending (educational) conferences
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
In the current policy, you will get an initial appointment for a period of seven years, on the condition of a positive mid-term evaluation at the end of the third year of employment. The University of Groningen is currently developing a new policy regarding the Academic Education Track. The new proposed policy does not change the timeline and criteria for promotion after five years, but the tenure decision will be taken after 18 months. The vacancy comprises a fulltime position at the level of Assistant Professor, but an 0.8 or 0.9 FTE appointment is possible as well, based on the preferences of the candidate. You will be appointed as Assistant Professor in the Academic Education Track.
Starting date of the position is negotiable, but we foresee that it starts between September 2023 and January 2024