The department of Computer Science at the VU maintains highly successful programs in various areas, including Artificial Intelligence, Bioinformatics, Computer Systems and Security, Software Engineering and Sustainability, and User-Centric Data Science. We would like to expand our department with a new position covering both research and education in topics related to Software Engineering.
The candidate will be able to develop their research program within a broad range of topics within the Software Engineering research area. These include, but are not limited to: software engineering, requirements engineering, software architecture, software design, software analysis, software development process, empirical software engineering, socio-technical systems, and software quality.
We are particularly interested in attracting an academic team player who will work with other research groups within the Computer Science department to establish strong new research directions and also new research synergies. We provide targeted funding for supporting such new collaborations.
In addition to scientific research, the new position includes teaching opportunities in various topics within the Software Engineering research area in the Computer Science educational programs.
The opening is targeted at the level of Assistant Professor, but experienced candidates with outstanding credentials may be considered for an Associate Professor level.
Much of the research with the department is embedded in two interdisciplinary, inter-faculty Institutes of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, the Network Institute and the Amsterdam Sustainability Institute. The Department has also recently started the Digital Sustainability Center (DISC) which is especially relevant for this position as it can help accelerate collaboration and synergy among research, industrial practice and education in related topics.
The selected candidate will be embedded in the Software and Sustainability (S2) research group. The S2 group conducts research in software engineering and software architecture in general, and specifically on their socio-technical and environmental sustainability. Further information is online at https://s2group.cs.vu.nlYour duties
The position includes research, education, and management (40%:40%:20%) and involves, amongst others, the following responsibilities:
- we seek an energetic and synergetic candidate that is eager to shape and lead their own research with a focus on Software Engineering
- the candidate will participate in the acquisition of both national and international research grants
- the candidate will supervise Bachelor, Master, and PhD students
- the candidate will contribute to teaching in our Bachelor and Master programs by a combination of initiating, developing, and planning 2-3 courses within the areas of Software Engineering
- the candidate will be encouraged and supported to further improve their education/teaching skills
- the candidate will extend their professional network and share it with the department, thus creating external synergies;
- the candidate will contribute to management tasks.