Meta-lenses are lithography-based nanostructured planar surfaces that can act like conventional lenses. They promise to be a disruptive technology in optics that could replace bulky refractive lenses in many applications. Meta-lenses are but one example of a class of meta-surfaces. The potential of meta-surfaces and meta-lenses is due to their extremely small dimensions (sub-wavelength thickness) and the possibility of manipulating light properties, such as polarization, in novel and more efficient ways as compared to traditional optics.
This PhD position is part of a larger project which goal is to investigate some of the limits of meta-lenses in terms of bandwidth, transmission efficiency and aberrations. Such limits can be imposed by the fabrication method used to nanostructure the surface, but also fundamental limits are investigated, e.g. due to the finite size or the discrete spatial phase variation in meta-surfaces imposed by the structures forming the meta-surface.
The overall project comprises analysis, simulation, and design of meta-lenses, the fabrication of meta-lenses using different lithographic techniques, and the characterization of these meta-lenses. The present PhD vacancy mainly concerns the analysis on fundamental limits, the design of meta-lenses in a particular fabrication technology and their characterization.
The project is a collaboration between the departments of Applied Physics and Electrical Engineering of Eindhoven University of Technology, in particular the Electromagnetics group, as well as with industrial partners with a worldwide scope. The project is part of a large long-term research activity at Eindhoven University of Technology in the field of photonics design and fabrication.
- Study of the literature on metalenses, their design and fabrication.
- Study electromagnetic modeling methods suitable for analyzing the propagation of light through a metalens.
- Develop a model and method for analyzing fundamental limits of metalens performance.
- Design a metalens in a suitable technology.
- Characterize the performance of a metalens.
- Dissemination of the results of your research in international and peer-reviewed journals and conferences.
- Writing a successful dissertation based on the developed research and defending it.
- Assume educational tasks like the supervision of Master students and internships.