Combined PhD position and university lecturer in Legal and Justice Aspects of the Sustainable Industry Transition (1.0 FTE)

Combined PhD position and university lecturer in Legal and Justice Aspects of the Sustainable Industry Transition (1.0 FTE)

Published Deadline Location
31 Aug 28 Sep Utrecht

You cannot apply for this job anymore (deadline was 28 Sep 2023).

Browse the current job offers or choose an item in the top navigation above.

Are you interested in solving legal and societal questions to accelerate sustainability transitions while combining teaching with obtaining a PhD?

Job description

Are you interested in solving legal and societal questions to accelerate sustainability transitions? Do you want to focus on issues of industry transitions, towards cleaner production processes and products? And are you interested in combining a PhD trajectory with teaching in bachelor programmes such Global Sustainability Science and Innovation Studies?

At the Copernicus Institute of Sustainable Development at Utrecht University, we are looking for an enthusiastic and ambitious colleague to further strengthen our group with a specific focus on legal and societal aspects of the industry transition. Climate change is among the biggest challenges of the 21st century. Industry, such as the chemical, steel or manufacturing industry is tasked to achieve significant reductions of greenhouse gas emissions by 2030. This challenge brings forth new legal questions, relating to circularity or new energy infrastructure, as well as societal questions, pertaining just transitions. How can law enable and support such a just transition? We focus on such questions at the Sustainable Industry Lab and we are looking for a Junior Assistant Professor to collaborate with us.

As junior assistant professor, you are expected to:
  • contribute to two research lines within the Sustainable Industry Lab: governance for the industry transition and the organisation of a societal dialogue about a just industry transition;
  • teach courses such as environmental law at the Global Sustainability Science bachelor's programme;
  • supervise bachelor's theses at Innovation Studies.
The position will allow you to obtain a PhD degree and develop educational skills leading up to a Basic Teaching Qualification (‘BKO’). Teaching is mostly in English and will make up about 40% of this function. The remaining 60% are spent on research towards obtaining a PhD degree and professional development.


Utrecht University


You are our ideal candidate if you:
  • have a MSc in a relevant field in law, political science, public administration or equivalent;
  • have a good understanding of the climate change problem;
  • have an interest in academic teaching (and preferably experience);
  • can demonstrate English language proficiency;
  • are interested in publishing scientific articles and obtaining a PhD degree;
  • work well as part of a team.

Conditions of employment

We offer:

  • a position (1.0 FTE) for 6 years;
  • a full-time gross salary from €3,226.-in scale 10/0 of the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities (CAO);
  • 8% holiday bonus and 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
  • A pension scheme, partially paid parental leave, and flexible employment conditions based on the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities.

In addition to the employment conditions from the CAO for Dutch Universities, Utrecht University has a number of its own arrangements. These include agreements on professional development, leave arrangements, sports and cultural schemes and you get discounts on software and other IT products. We also give you the opportunity to expand your terms of employment through the Employment Conditions Selection Model. This is how we encourage you to grow. For more information, please visit working at Utrecht University.


A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in executing their leading research and inspiring teaching. At Utrecht University, the various disciplines collaborate intensively towards major strategic themes. Our focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions for Open Societies, Life Sciences and Pathways to Sustainability. Sharing science, shaping tomorrow.

Utrecht University's Faculty of Geosciences studies the Earth: from the Earth's core to its surface, including man's spatial and material utilisation of the Earth - always with a focus on sustainability and innovation. With 3,400 students (BSc and MSc) and 720 staff, the Faculty is a strong and challenging organisation. The Faculty of Geosciences is organised in four Departments: Earth Sciences, Human Geography & Spatial Planning, Physical Geography, and Sustainable Development.


  • Lecturer; Assistant professor; Associate professor; Professor
  • Natural sciences
  • 36—40 hours per week
  • max. €3226 per month
  • University graduate
  • 1214363



Princetonlaan 8a, 3584 CB, Utrecht

View on Google Maps

Interesting for you