The PhD position is one of the 08 doctoral candidates (DC) positions within the QUARC (Quantum resistant communications: Advance Learning in applied PQC Training) project (www.QUARC.eu). QUARC is a European Doctoral Network Industrial Doctorate funded by the European Commission under the Horizon 2021 Marie Sklodowska-Curie Action (MSCA). The MSCA DN programme offers a highly competitive and attractive salary and working conditions. The overarching objective of QUARC is to provide high-level training in the field of quantum secure communications to a new generation of doctoral candidates.
Quantum Computers are about to be accessible to the public. The ability for Quantum Computers to break classic cryptography protocols is pushing the adoption of Post-Quantum Cryptography (PQC). PQC protocols are resistant against quantum computers. During 2022, and after several years of research, the first standards on PQC will be made available to the public. Although the EU has some scattered activities on PQC, it has not yet addressed the need for PQC experts in application of this emerging technology. This is the driving force for QUARC, a Doctoral Network Industrial Doctorate on PQC, providing interdisciplinary and integral training and research in PQC. QUARC will train 8 Doctoral Candidates (DCs) through an outstanding training program that includes coordinated research in different cryptography areas, focusing on implementation. QUARC is an industrial doctorate, and besides a 50% of their time located in an industrial partner, each DC will be also exposed to a set of training initiatives in the areas of relevance for industry and receive the support of an external advisory board made out of experts in the field. QUARC establishes a well-balances, interdisciplinary, intersectoral and innovative training network, with an overarching theme of quality and edginess: research as a training tool to push the current state-of-the-art in PQC.
QUARC comprises a leading company and university in the field NVIDIA Denmark, NVIDIA Israel, Aalborg University, Denmark, Universidad Complutense Madrid, Spain, and Eindhoven University of Technology, the Netherlands.
QUARC will train the recruited DCs through an outstanding training program. All DCs will be enrolled in PhD programmes (applicants have to fulfil entry conditions of those programs). Moreover, all DCs will enjoy 18 months mandatory secondment in the workplace of other consortium partners Moreover, QUARC also offers a continuous educational backbone over the whole duration of the project. Marie Curie DN ID Project This is position DC1: Architectural consideration on PQC accelerators-based ARM processors.
Objective: To investigate optimal (micro)-architectures to implement PQC accelerators for Crystal-Kyber, NTRU and Saber PQC quantum-resistant public key, signature and key encapsulation mechanism (KEM) system. To analyse the interdependence between hardware complexity and achievable reasonable size for the public key and investigate how to improve the security features of CrystalKyber, NTRU and Saber (lattice-based PQC).
Start date: As soon as possible
Recruiting Institution: Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) - Netherlands
PhD Enrolment: Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) - Netherlands
Main supervisor: Prof. Idelfonso Tafur Monroy. E-mail: i.tafur.monroy[at]tue.nl
Research group: Quantum and Terahertz Systems (Department of Electrical Engineering)Why apply
QUARC is financially supported by the European Commission under the Marie SkłodowskaCurie Actions (MSCA). The benefits of being an DC of QUARC include:
- DCs will work in a stimulating, creative and internationally learning environment through an unique interdisciplinary research training program.
- DCs will be enrolled in top-quality PhD programs.
- QUARC training program offers unique, leading edge infrastructure and expertise, which is not available at a single place.
- DCs will be advised by excellent group leaders - they are all outstanding in their research and trainings.
- The QUARC consortium was generated with the firm purpose of training DCs so that they can enter the labour market both in academic and non-academic environments.
- All DCs will be exposed to very different and complementary research environment in both academia and industrial participating organisations.
- DCs will spend 18 months of their recruitment time in different institutions of the network.
- Strong involvement of industrial partners in training activities.
- DCs will have the opportunity to acquire outstanding complementary training in transferable skills (e.g. presentation techniques, networking, publishing, and outreach activities) as well as leadership, innovation and entrepreneurial skills.
- DCs will have the opportunity to acquire lifetime skills and optimum opportunities to build and extend your international network available to you throughout your professional career.