You cannot apply for this job anymore (deadline was 23 Nov 2023).
Browse the current job offers or choose an item in the top navigation above.
We are looking for a highly motivated and creative Ph.D. candidate interested in designing and applying different AI and econometric models to support the understanding and enhance the financial resilience of businesses involved in circular economy settings and their operational and financial supply chains. A circular economy aims to eliminate waste by endorsing a continuous loop of resource use, challenging the traditional "take-make-dispose" paradigm, thereby promoting sustainability and resource efficiency. Financial resilience, on the other hand, pertains to the capability of entities to withstand adverse financial situations, ensuring stability during economic uncertainties. When applied within a circular economy framework, operational and financial adjustments to the supply chain optimize resource management and financial flows. This ensures reduced waste cost stability and positions businesses favorably against regulatory changes, enhancing overall business competitiveness and adaptability. The ultimate goal of the Ph.D. candidate is to determine how financial models should be used to grow to understand business value and their risk while proposing solutions to companies in circular economy settings to strengthen their financial resilience, enabling an improved operational and financial supply chain with improved access to investment and credit, which in turn will foster sustainable economic growth.
The successful applicant will join the Industrial Engineering and Business Information Systems (IEBIS) section of the High-tech Business & Entrepreneurship Department (HBE) at the Faculty of Behavioural Management and Social Sciences (BMS).
In both industry and academia, the transition to a circular economy—focused on sustainability and efficient resource utilization by challenging the traditional "take-make-dispose" model—is becoming paramount. Yet, a significant complication arises in understanding and bolstering the financial resilience of businesses within this framework, especially concerning their operational and financial supply chains. While the circular approach promises reduced waste, cost stability, and strategic positioning amidst regulatory shifts, there's a pressing need to determine how financial models can elucidate and measure business value and assess their risk levels. The primary focus of this research is to develop artificial intelligence (AI) and econometric models that can provide support to enterprises operating within the circular economy. The objective of these models is to facilitate a comprehensible evaluation of customer value and risk, thereby boosting the financial resilience of firms and to investigate how circularity can improve the global and complex supply chain of critical raw materials from both financial and operational perspective. This, in turn, can lead to improved operational supply chains, increased accessibility to investment and credit, and eventually contribute to sustainable economic growth. Are you interested in supporting the financial industry's efforts to promote fairness by improving risk assessment and customer valuation methods, as well as enhancing the operational and financial supply chain of enterprises in circular economy settings while promoting sustainability practises? If so, this position might be the perfect fit for you!
University of Twente (UT)
We look for a highly motivated, enthusiastic researcher who is driven by curiosity and has/is:
- Master's degree or equivalent in Business Analytics/Finance, Information Technology, Computer Science, Industrial Engineering, or related field;
- Knowledge and interest in business and financial models and resilience, finance for sustainability, circular economy, information systems, supply chain, and industrial symbiosis;
- A strong quantitative background and is experienced with quantitative analytics techniques, in particular data science and prescriptive analytics;
- Motivation to work on sustainability challenges and renewable energy systems - Prior experience on these subjects is a plus;
- Proficiency in coding with a language like Python, Matlab, C++, Java, or similar is a plus;
- Excellent teammate in an enthusiastic and hardworking group of scientists. You like to work in an interdisciplinary and internationally oriented environment;
- Able to do independent research and willing to develop writing and publication skills;
- Possess good communication skills and an excellent command of English.
Conditions of employment
We encourage high responsibility and independence, while collaborating with colleagues, researchers, other university staff and partners. We follow the terms of employment by the Dutch Collective Labour Agreement for Universities (CAO). Our offer contains: a fulltime 4-year PhD position with a qualifier in the first year; excellent mentorship in a stimulating research environment with excellent facilities; and a personal development program within the Twente Graduate School. It also includes:
- Gross monthly salary of € 2.770 in the first year, increasing each year up to € 3.539 in the fourth year;
- Excellent benefits including a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%, and a solid pension scheme;
- 29 holidays per year in case of full-time employment;
- A training programme as part of the Twente Graduate School where you and your supervisors will determine a plan for a suitable education and supervision;
- A green campus with free access to sports facilities and an international scientific community;
- A family-friendly institution that offers parental leave (both paid and unpaid);
- A full status as an employee at the UT, including pension, health care benefits and good secondary conditions are part of our collective labour agreement CAO-NU for Dutch universities.
The HBE cluster is dedicated to encouraging a supportive and inclusive working culture. Our aim is that all job applicants are given equal opportunities. When we select candidates for employment, it will be on the basis of their competence and ability. To support the workforce diversity, we are open to offer flexible working conditions on an individual basis to support work-life balance, that may include contract of employment, working hours and location, or child care arrangements.
The High Business Entrepreneurship corporate video can be watched via this link