We are looking for an Assistant Professor who has a strong profile in the entire development chain of conceptual design, prototyping, and design for manufacturing of medical devices to join our growing chair of Biomedical Device Design and Production Technology
(BDDP). Our group has the passion to get novel biomedical engineered solutions into the clinic and/or applied to the patient, which are mechanical and mechatronic oriented. Therefore, we apply various methods including design engineering, experimental research, human factors, ergonomics, biomechanical modeling, CAD, advanced prototyping, testing in simulated surgical settings and, we strive to pursue innovative approaches! Together with industrial leaders and SMEs and an extensive network of clinical institutions, we cover the entire trajectory from idea to clinical evaluation. This includes verification of according to the regulatory framework (e.g. Medical Device Regulation, MDR) demands. Our local facilities such as our own lab, TechMed Centre
and Fraunhofer Innovation Platform
are well-equipped to support this.
We would very much welcome a dedicated Assistant Professor who pursues a research line in combining two areas:
- mechanical and/or mechatronic design for innovative biomedical devices and
- transfer these prototypes to low series production for cost-effective clinical evaluation to meet the legal requirements (e.g. MDR).
This involves mechanism design as well as human-device interface. Involving students in the research and design projects is a matter of course for you. So, if you have original ideas how to address the healthcare challenges from your mechanical engineering perspectives and your ambition is to get these ideas transferred to clinical evaluation, then we look forward to receiving you application to join our multidisciplinary and inclusive BDDP team. Responsibilities
- Apply and extend your expertise in mechanical design in research and teaching
- Develop a research line towards low series production of novel medical devices for clinical evaluation in line with legal framework and in line with cost-effectiveness
- Perform ‘research by design’ or ‘design by research’ with a genuine interest in creating original engineering solutions and engaging clinicians and patients
- Complementary extend our research by acquiring external research funding, assisting in coordination of (large) projects and engaging students
- (Co)-teach and coordinate courses on statics, dynamics and mechanics of materials in our Bachelor mechanical engineering program
- (Co)-teach and coordinate courses in our Master programs including mechanical engineering, industrial design engineering, biomedical technology and technical medicine
- Contribute in supervising MSc and PhD candidates with a focus on design and manufacturing.