The Faculty of Econ
You cannot apply for this job anymore (deadline was 15 Feb 2024).
Browse the current job offers or choose an item in the top navigation above.
The Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB) of the University of Groningen has the ambition to develop academic and applied multi-disciplinary research on how organizations use strategic design to develop innovation strategies. Additionally, the aim is to educate its students to become valuable actors in managing innovation within organizations. To attain this objective, the FEB Board proposes the establishment of a new full-time chair in Innovation and Strategic Design. The chair will be embedded in the department of Innovation Management and Strategy (IM&S) and will collaborate with other FEB units and research programs of its Research School (FEBRI).
Positioning of the chair
The Innovation and Strategic Design chair will be situated within the IM&S department and the FEBRI research program focusing on Innovation & Organization. The chair is expected to develop synergies with the already existing IM&S chairs on Innovation Management (Prof. De Faria), Entrepreneurship and Innovation (Prof. Noseleit), Information Systems (Prof. Schultze), Information Management (Prof. Boonstra) and Digital Transformation and Strategy (Prof. Langley) and the chair on Professor of Industrial Engineering (Prof. Vis) at the department of Operations. We also encourage the chair to develop an extensive academic and business network and to play an important role in connecting the IM&S department with business partners in the Northern region of The Netherlands and with the Faculty of Science and Engineering and the Faculty of Spatial Sciences of the University of Groningen.
Short description of the department
The IM&S department comprises five Full Professors, 11 Associate Professors, 25 Assistant Professors, and nine PhD students and Post-doc researchers. It is a diverse department with around 60% international and 48% female staff members. The department contributes to programs at the (honours) Bachelor’s, Master’s, Research Master’s levels and to the PhD program of the research school FEBRI. Moreover, it coordinates four Master of Science tracks: Change Management, Small Business & Entrepreneurship, Strategic Innovation Management, and Healthcare Management & Economics. The IM&S department covers a variety of interests and backgrounds, and embraces various research approaches, prioritizing academic excellence both in research and teaching. Its members focus on applied as well as fundamental research questions. The department's research areas include innovation, strategy, information systems, organization theory, and entrepreneurship.
The position description is titled: Innovation and Strategic Design. The chair (Professor) will take a leading role in strengthening the research of the Innovation & Organization Research Program. We seek an outstanding researcher evidenced by top-tier publications and successful PhD supervision on topics related to innovation and strategy. As a leading scholar in the field, the chair is expected to advance the field of innovation management and strategy within FEB and FEBRI and to build an academic group that will develop high-quality and impactful research. The chair will supervise PhD students and apply for external funding for new positions. The new professor is also supposed to acquire other external research grants to consolidate the chair’s position.
Furthermore, the new professor will be responsible for teaching activities in the field of strategy and innovation and will demonstrate leadership and commitment to the development of the Bachelor's and (Research) Master's programs in business administration.
University of Groningen
We encourage candidates meeting the following criteria to apply:
• a PhD degree in fields connected to Innovation Management and Strategy
• a track record of outstanding academic research and an esteemed international scholar in Innovation and Strategic Design
• excellent teaching abilities and experience in curriculum development
• a collegial nature with good communication skills
• experience in developing research and teaching activities that connect the field of Innovation and Strategic Design to broader topics in the fields of Innovation Management and Strategy
• the ability to connect academic activities to practical challenges faced by organizations in the fields of Innovation and Strategic Design
• a proven track record to acquire external funding
• part of a wide, relevant national and international network
• willingness to learn the Dutch language (non-native speakers candidates).
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary depending on qualifications and work experience starting from € 6,648 to a maximum of € 9,680 gross salary per month for a full-time position
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees. Favourable tax treatment may apply to Non-Dutch applicants.