You cannot apply for this job anymore (deadline was 18 Feb 2024).
Browse the current job offers or choose an item in the top navigation above.
As part of the National research program Aviation in Transition, the Production Technology group at the University of Twente has a PhD position on the modelling of the press forming process of thermoplastic composites.
Thermoplastic composite materials are considered a prime candidate for the next generation of commercial aircraft. Compared to thermoset composites, these materials offer improved toughness, dustless assembly through welding, and improved recycling opportunities. Press forming is a manufacturing technology for small to medium-sized thermoplastic composite components in high volumes. Process simulation software allows virtual optimization of tool design and material handling in order to achieve first-time-right manufacturing. The predictive quality of these tools relies on accurate constitutive models to describe the material behavior during forming. With the ever increasing need to manufacture more complex components, a step-change is required in the accuracy of these models and the associated material characterization methods.
We are looking for a PhD candidate to strengthen our research team. Your research focuses on the development of novel constitutive models for molten unidirectionally reinforced thermoplastic composites, their implementation in finite element software, followed by experimental validation. Earlier developed characterization methods and an experimental dataset form an excellent starting point for the task at hand. Within the project, you will collaborate with other researchers and share your results with the industrial partners.
University of Twente (UT)
You are a highly motivated researcher who is driven by curiosity and has:
- a Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or equivalent,
- experimental and theoretical skills in polymers and fiber reinforced composites,
- experience with the finite element method and programming experience in scripting languages like Python or Matlab,
- proficiency in English, both spoken and written (we require a TOEFL > 90 or IELTS > 6.5 score).
Conditions of employment
We offer a full-time 4-year Ph.D. position with a qualifier in the first year; excellent mentorship in a stimulating research environment with excellent facilities; and a personal development program within the Twente Graduate School. It also includes:
- Gross monthly salary of € 2.770 in the first year, increasing each year up to € 3.539 in the fourth year;
- Excellent benefits including a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%, a solid pension scheme, and 29 vacation in days in case of full-time employment;
- A training program, where you and your supervisors will settle a plan for education and supervision;
- Excellent laboratory and support facilities;
- A green campus with free access to sports facilities and an international scientific community;
- A family-friendly institution that offers parental leave (both paid and unpaid).
We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The UT is the only campus university of the Netherlands. We have a strong focus on personal development and hardworking researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.