The Faculty of Science, Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (LIACS), is looking for an Assistant Professor in the field of Advanced Computer Systems and Security (0.8-1.0 FTE).
The rapid evolution and expansion of Computer Science and the increasing integration with other disciplines create new challenges in developing efficient and secure computer systems. In this respect, the Systems and Security cluster at LIACS is working to devise the computers of tomorrow that will be the backbone of the next generation supercomputers, Cloud and Edge computing paradigms as well as the Internet of Things. Our research covers but is not limited to the following topics: high performance and efficient computing systems, networks and storage, as well as embedded and real-time computing systems, and the necessary (cyber) security methods and techniques to protect such systems.
The complexity of modern and future computer systems makes their design, analysis, programming, and optimization for non-functional system properties (performance, power/energy consumptions, reliability, safety, security, robustness, cost, etc.) extremely challenging. This is because such systems will integrate more and more processing components, typically heterogeneous, in a distributed context via complex interconnects, and possibly also resulting in sophisticated systems-of-systems. Moreover, the underlying system architectures will be more adaptive to exploit workload or environmental dynamism and to provide dynamic quality-of-service trade-offs. Examples of such complex computing infrastructures are emerging in the domains of the edge-to-cloud compute continuum and cyber-physical systems.
The candidate will be embedded in the System and Security cluster, and it is expected to work well in our culture of cross-group collaboration, develop connections inside and outside our institute, with other stakeholders inside and outside Leiden University. This position at LIACS has a good balance between teaching and research, giving the candidate time to write research proposals and further develop their research lines and their career. Social values of LIACS are fun, inclusivity, openness, and teamwork. The level of the position will be commensurate with the candidate's level of experience. Expectations
- Conducting independent research in your field;
- Teaching relevant courses (BSc and MSc). In particular, the selected applicant is expected to teach the Bachelor course “Essentials of Computer Systems” covering fundamentals of computer systems and networks.
- Willing to get the University Teaching Qualification (BKO) within 2 years;
- Supervising BSc and MSc students;
- (Co-)supervising PhD students;
- Securing external funding for research;
- Engaging in committees and organizing activities in your research group/cluster, the institute, and in the relevant initiatives in Leiden and The Netherlands;
- Good to excellent proficiency in English;
- Willing to start before the end of August 2024.