In food, biotechnology and pharmaceutical applications various organisms are used to produce metabolites, proteins or biomass. The organisms used for it are carefully chosen and many strains have been developed by decades of strain improvement. Such improvements are often based on so called laboratory or experimental evolution. In addition to the applied aspect of such evolved strains, their characterization has allowed to unravel many fundamental biological questions on the evolution, physiology and genetics of various organisms.
We have recently developed a technology for experimental evolution that differs from existing systems. Within this project the method will be improved and automated, and a diverse set of organisms will be evolved and characterized in depth. This includes the evolution of food and pharma related microorganisms and eukaryotic cells, including microbial communities and host-phage co-evolution. Your duties
- design and carry out experiments with state of the art analysis in the field of molecular microbiology, omics technologies, systems biology and bioinformatics
- data analysis and interpretation
- give scientific presentations internally and at scientific meetings
- writing scientific publications
- supervising bachelor and master students
- teaching students