This position is part of a large project recently funded by the European Union’s IPCEI program. Here, the University of Twente together with academic/research organizations and industrial partners join forces in the development of a sustainable data center.
Motivated by the need for greater sustainability in data centers, the adoption of heat reuse has the potential to enhance organizational energy efficiency, reduce global energy consumption, and optimize services. In this context, our collaborative team aims to bring about a paradigm shift in the computer-aided design, physics of fabrication, and functionalization of 3D-printed structures to create an innovative thermochemical heat transformer. These will assist in temperature boosting of low-grade data center waste heat using an innovative process.
One challenge involves designing and manufacturing new materials to create mechanisms with unique functional properties across multiple length scales. A potential solution to address these limitations is employing 3D printing methods, also known as additive manufacturing, to produce 3D architectures based on a digital model. This technology can fabricate structures ranging from micro to macro scales using various materials such as polymer, metal, ceramic, and composites. The advantage lies in the ability to create complex geometries in a single production run, offering operational scalability and design flexibility. Thus, this Ph.D. focuses on exploring the benefits and challenges of additive manufacturing in developing efficient structures for thermochemical materials and heat exchangers for heat transformers.
To achieve this task, you will advance current additive manufacturing techniques and conduct best manufacturing practice tests to create hierarchical structures. Using state-of-the-art experimental methods, you will explore various design concepts for this system. Your task involves gaining insight into how micro- and macro-structural changes affect the performance of the heat upgrade system. Your responsibilities also extend to the prototype scale demonstration of the upgrade system.
You will work with other Ph.D. students and postdocs in a team to accomplish this goal. Your first responsibility is to carry out the research and publish your work in scientific journals and proceedings. You are expected to present your work during regular project meetings. We support you to broaden your knowledge by joining international exchange programs, by participating in national and international conferences and workshops, and by visiting industrial companies and research institutes.
University of Twente (UT)
- We are looking for an enthusiastic, professional, and ambitious colleague, with the following profile:
- You have, or will shortly, acquire a master’s degree in the field of Mechanical Engineering, Thermal Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Applied Physics, or a related discipline with a proven affinity to multidisciplinary assignments.
- You have a strong and demonstrable background in Additive Manufacturing, Advanced Thermodynamics, and Experimental Heat Transfer at the graduate level.
- You have the ambition and talent to accelerate in finding solutions for complex technological issues with a multidisciplinary character.
- You have a creative mindset and excellent analytical and communication skills.
- You can work in a multidisciplinary team of researchers coming from various branches of science and industry.
- You are proficient in English.
Conditions of employment
- As a PhD student at UT, you will be appointed to a full-time position for four years, with a qualifier in the first year. You will join a very stimulating and exciting scientific environment.
- The University offers a dynamic and stimulating environment with enthusiastic colleagues.
- Your salary and associated conditions are in accordance with the collective labour agreement for Dutch universities (CAO-NU); You will receive a gross monthly salary ranging from € 2.770,- in the first year and a salary of € 3.539,- in the fourth year gross per month.
- There are excellent benefits including a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%, and a solid pension scheme.
- A solid pension scheme;
- A minimum of 29 holidays per year in case of full-time employment;
- You will have a training program as part of the Twente Graduate School where you and your supervisors will determine a plan for a suitable education and supervision.
- We encourage a high degree of responsibility and independence while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers, and other staff.
The project at the University of Twente brings together scientists from the Faculties of Engineering Technology (ET).
ET: The Faculty of Engineering Technology engages in education and research of Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. We enable society and industry to innovate and create value using efficient, solid and sustainable technology. We are part of a ‘people-first' university of technology, taking our place as an internationally leading center for smart production, processes and devices in five domains: Health Technology, Maintenance, Smart Regions, Smart Industry and Sustainable Resources. Our faculty is home to about 2,900 Bachelor's and Master's students, 550 employees and 150 PhD candidates. Our educational and research programmes are closely connected with UT research institutes?Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Center and Digital Society Institute.
Are you interested in this position? Please send your application via the 'Apply now' button below before March 10, 2024
, and include (all in one pdf):
- Curriculum Vitae (including contact information for at least two academic references).
- A transcript of your Diploma, courses taken, and grades achieved
- Title and abstract of your Master’s project/thesis.
- A motivation letter explaining your interest in the topic of the research, your skills toward the goals of the project, and your personal traits (maximum one page).
For more information regarding this position, you are welcome to contact Dr. Davoud Jafari (email@example.com) or Dr. Abhishek Kumar Singh (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The first (online) jobinterviews will take place March 18, 2024.