The Faculty of Science and Engineering has a vacancy for a full professor in Energy Systems and Scenario Evaluation in the Energy and Sustainability Research Institute Groningen (ESRIG). The candidate will chair the Energy and Environmental Sciences Group (IVEM) within ESRIG, which includes the coaching of two "tenure track" assistant professors in the group.
The candidate is expected to reinforce and strengthen the energy research programme of the IVEM, making it a leading international research group in this field. Keyword for this area of research is "Energy Transition". Research activities will be based to a large extent on external funding. The candidate is an excellent teacher who can motivate students of different disciplines and will develop new courses on specific topics about this subject in the BSc and the MSc programmes. Teaching duties include the supervision of bachelor, master and PhD students.
• a doctorate in one of the relevant natural sciences
• at least two years of (postdoctoral) international experience
• recognition in the international community of energy systems studies as, for example, evidenced by involvement in professional societies, policy or programme committees or editorial boards of relevant journals
• clear affinity with the subjects discussed in the profile report
• enthusiasm for interdisciplinary research in areas relevant for energy and environmental studies and sustainable development
• a strong list of publications
• proven capabilities to lead a research group
• the ability to acquire external funding
• experience with PhD student supervision
• affinity with and a good track record in BSc and MSc education
• fluency in English and a good knowledge of Dutch, or willingness to learn Dutch within a time frame of two years.
Conditions of employment
The University of Groningen offers a salary dependent on qualifications and work experience from € 5,334 up to a maximum of € 7,766 (salary scale Dutch Universities for Full Professor 2, the higher position of Full Professor 1 can only be requested for high-profile senior applicants) gross per month for a full-time position. For a suitable candidate with less seniority an Associate Professorship is possible (CAO-NU UHD-1), with a salary from € 5,059 to € 6,438 gross per month.
In addition to the primary salary, the University of Groningen offers 8% holiday allowance and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%.
The University of Groningen provides career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
The University of Groningen has adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, female candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
You may apply for this position until 17 September / before 18 September 2017 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on ‘Apply’ below on this advertisement on the University website).
Interested candidates are invited to submit a complete application including:
• a letter of motivation
• a curriculum vitae, including a list of publications
• a list of five self-selected ‘best papers’
• a statement about teaching goals and experience and a description of scientific interest and plans
• the names of three references complete with title and contact information.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has enjoyed an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative centre of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Balanced study and career paths in a wide variety of disciplines encourage currently more than 30,000 students and researchers to develop their own individual talents. Belonging to the best research universities in Europe, the top 100 universities in the world and joining forces with prestigious partner universities and networks, the University of Groningen is truly an international place of knowledge.