You cannot apply for this job anymore.
Browse the current job offers or choose an item in the top navigation above.
The Department of Mathematics of the Faculty of Science, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, invites applications for an Assistant Professor in Business Analytics and/or Data Science.
We seek a new colleague who is passionate about mathematical research, in particular in business analytics or data science, and education. The department is looking for candidates with a proven expertise in business analytics or data science or in a related area like operations research, statistics, data mining or machine learning. The appointed researcher is expected to develop her/his own research line in business analytics or data science.
Women are especially encouraged to apply. The diversity policy of the university can be found at http://www.vu.nl/en/about-vu-amsterdam/mission-and-profile/diversity/.
The candidate will be expected to
• develop a research line in the area of business analytics and/or data science;
• interact with and complement existing research activities in- and outside the department;
• contribute to the further development of the Amsterdam Center for Business Analytics;
• contribute to the general educational programs of the department, at both the undergraduate and graduate level; this includes the supervision of bachelor and master theses, and internships;
• show academic leadership nationally and internationally;
• participate in everyday departmental activities and tasks, including writing grant proposals.
The successful candidate must have a PhD in mathematics with specialization business analytics or data science, or a PhD in a related area, and a few years of post-doctoral experience.
The candidate should
• have a proven track record of original research contributions in business analytics and/or data science;
• have an international network of collaborators;
• be an inspiring lecturer;
• have good communication skills;
• be fluent in English;
• be willing to acquire a basic qualification in teaching (‘BKO’) as demanded by Dutch Universities (if she/he does not have one already).
The assistant professor position is a tenure track position with an initial appointment of 5 years and the possibility of tenure. In the fifth year of the appointment the tenure decision will be taken. The starting date is as soon as possible.
You can find information about our excellent fringe benefits of employment at www.workingatvu.nl like:
• remuneration of 8,3% end-of-year bonus and 8% holiday allowance;
• possibilities to work part-time;
• a minimum of 29 holidays in case of full-time employment;
• generous contribution (65%) commuting allowance based on public transport;
• discounts on collective insurances (healthcare- and car insurance);
• a wide range of sports facilities which staff may use at a modest charge.
The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel, and depending on experience, range from a minimum of € 3238 gross per month (salary scale 10) up to a maximum of € 5405 gross per month (salary scale 12) based on a fulltime employment.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) is a leading, innovative and growing university that is at the heart of society and actively contributes to new developments in teaching and research. Our university has ten faculties, and provides work for over 4,500 staff and scientific education for more than 23,000 students.
Research at the Faculty of Science focuses on the areas of Life & Health, Networked World, Fundamentals of Science, and Energy & Sustainability. The faculty’s teaching activities are directly linked to this excellent research. Cooperation with other faculties on the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam campus generates attractive, high-quality Bachelor’s and Master’s programs. At international level, the faculty cooperates closely with leading scientific institutes and other partners.
The Department of Mathematics strives after excellence in research. In the department purely mathematical research is balanced with mathematical research motivated by applications. Researchers at the department are on the one hand active on a fundamental and theoretical level, and on the other hand work in an applied and practical environment with links to many sciences and societal issues. The department has a strong international research staff with expertise in dynamical systems, geometry, algebra and topology, and stochastics (statistics, data analytics, probability).In stochastics the applications range from neuroscience, genetics and forensics to business optimization and finance. The stochastics group is also engaged in the Amsterdam Center for Business Analytics (www.acba.nl), which aims at developing, disseminating and exploiting business analytics and data science knowledge and applications by bringing together businesses and scientific research. ACBA supports organizations to consider, design and undertake applied research studies concerning analytics.
The department offers bachelor and master programs in mathematics and in business analytics, as well as a master program in stochastics and financial mathematics. In addition, the department provides mathematics courses for other programs of the Faculty of Science, for programs of other faculties in the university, and for the Amsterdam University College.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU)
De Boelelaan 1105, 1081 HV, Amsterdam
We like to make it easy for you, sign in for these and other useful features: