You cannot apply for this job anymore.
Browse the current job offer or choose an item in the top navigation above.
Since 2015 six-year research project, titled “Rhineland Exiles and the Religious Landscape of the Dutch Republic (c.1550-1618) has been housed at the Faculty of Theology at the Vrije Universiteit (VU) Amsterdam. The goal of this research project is to analyze how the massive emigration and immigration of Reformed Protestants during the Dutch Revolt shaped the religious landscape of the early Dutch Republic.
Within this project there is an open position for one postdoctoral researcher to complete research on leading exiles in the German Rhineland. Whereas the PHD-projects focus on the religious communities during their exile in the German Rhineland, the postdoc project will focus on the influence of leading exiles on the religious landscape of the Dutch Republic after their return. The postdoc will write a monograph on the contributions these former exiles made to the development of religious ideas, both within and from outside the public church, either as a critique or as a supporter of this church. This project will use our database of religious exiles, the writings of these former exiles, and may include a broader source base depending on the postdoc’s research plan in the first year.
The desired candidates should have the following abilities:
• A completed PhD in theology, history, or a comparable discipline;
• The ability to read and interpret sixteenth-century sources – both printed and in manuscript – written in Dutch, German, French, and Latin;
• The ability to develop an independent and coherent research project;
• The ability to contribute to debates on the history of religious migration, and to articulate the relevance of that contribution for the present day;
• The ability to collaborate with members of the research team;
• Excellent communication skills, orally and in writing, in at least two modern languages.
Depending on the candidate’s competences and availability, the appointment will be for a period of 3 years, including 2 months trial period. You can find information about our excellent fringe benefits of employment at www.workingatvu.nl like:
• remuneration of 8,3% end-of-year bonus and 8% holiday allowance;
• solid pension scheme (ABP);
• generous contribution (65%) commuting allowance based on public transport.
The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel, and depending on experience, range from a minimum of € 2588,00 gross per month (salary scale 10) up to a maximum of € 4757,00 gross per month (salary scale 11) based on a fulltime employment.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) is a leading, innovative and growing university that is at the heart of society and actively contributes to new developments in teaching and research. Our university has ten faculties, and provides work for over 4,500 staff and scientific education for more than 23,000 students.
The Faculty of Theology is an open, dynamic and ecumenical faculty where people of various religious views (including secularists) in mutual dialogue devote themselves to high quality education and academic research as well as other associated contributions to society. Besides offering (together with the Protestant Theological University) a BA in Theology, and BA in Religious Studies, the faculty offers masters degrees that can last one, two, or three years. The Graduate School of Theology and Religious Studies at the faculty also hosts 250 doctoral candidates. The faculty is highly international in its orientation.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU)
De Boelelaan 1105, 1081 HV, Amsterdam