You cannot apply for this job anymore.
Browse the current job offer or choose an item in the top navigation above.
The Chair in Logics and Management Theory is a strategic appointment of the SBE aimed at building the capacity in research, to further enhance the international visibility of the Department, and to strengthen teaching in formal methods, especially mathematical logic, that can be applied to organization theory, strategic management, ethics, innovation management and entrepreneurship.
• develop an original research agenda within the area of mathematical logic motivated by and applied to the development of formal theories of organizations
• complement and strengthen a number of research projects that the group currently has underway
• design and deliver teaching in formal methods across under-graduate, post-graduate and PhD programmes
• serve as co-director of the Center for Formal Organization Theory
• engage in setting up collaborations with other departments and faculties, especially computer science, at the VU as well as with other universities in the Netherlands and abroad, both in respect to new teaching programmes as research initiatives and grant applications
• a PhD degree
• a strong track record in research, proven by recent publications in leading international scientific journals, professional publications, and in authored or edited books with established academic publishers
• able to lead independent original research and contribute significantly to the Department’s research programme
• an inspiring teacher with experience in both large- and small-group teaching
• have a strong international network, evident in joint work, invitations to address conferences, editorial work, and participation in international workshops or conferences
A challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of € 5441.- and a maximum € 7921.- in accordance with salary scale H2, depending on your education and experience. The job profile (Hoogleraar 2) is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
• a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
• 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
• considerable employer’s contribution to the ABP pension scheme
• contribution to commuting expenses
• optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
The ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. And to be a university where personal education and societal involvement play a leading role. Where people from different disciplines and backgrounds work together on innovations and on generating new knowledge. Our teaching and research embrace the whole spectrum of science – from the humanities, the social sciences and the pure sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 23,000 students. We employ more than 4,500 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible, located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.
Diversity is one of our university’s core values. We are an inclusive community, and we believe that diversity and international activities enhance the quality of education and research. We are always looking for people who can enhance diversity on our campus thanks to their background and experience.
The School of Business and Economics (SBE) provides high-quality education and excellent research in business administration and economics with a focus on contributing to the social, economic and ecological challenges of our time. Whether it is the use of robots in society or big data, labour market participation or flexibility in the labour market, traffic jams or the housing market, flash crashes in the stock market or choice behaviour in gambling, leadership or change management: we believe in goal-oriented scientific research and understand that progress in academics, the business community and society is achieved through cooperation, openness and social responsibility.
At SBE, all of our highly-motivated colleagues work together closely in a stimulating, dynamic and international environment to achieve our collective goal of encouraging society to make informed choices. Approximately 4,200 Bachelor’s and Master’s students and 1,700 executive students are enrolled at the School, and employs roughly 500 people.
Management & Organization is one of the largest departments of the SBE. Its mission is to lead scholarly and practitioner conversations on the topic of organisation and organizing in the globalized world. The department is organized around four sections: Strategy and Organization, Entrepreneurship, HRM/OB and Management Consulting. At the department of Management & Organization, research and teaching are seen as mutually supportive. We strive for excellence in research by making a strong contribution to international scholarly debates. At the same time, we stimulate innovative and progressive teaching methods and close interaction with our students. Members of our department have a strong track record in research by publishing regularly in leading journals such as Academy of Management Journal, Academy of Management Review, Journal of Applied Psychology, Journal of Management Studies, and Organization Science. The Department has a collaborative ethos with staff actively working together on research projects and papers. Our group is highly diverse in terms of cultural backgrounds and we enjoy working in an international environment. The group has a high international visibility with many members holding visiting professorships at leading business schools worldwide.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU)
De Boelelaan 1105, 1081 HV, Amsterdam