Team leader Engineering Support (x/f/m)
who wishes to lead our team of 10-15 highly skilled technicians who play an essential role in enabling DIFFER’s strategy. The Engineering Support group, together with the Operations & Facility Support group, is part of the Facilities & Instrumentation department which is dedicated to the design, construction and operation of our cutting-edge (large scale) research instruments for materials for the energy transition.
As team leader Engineering Support you are in charge of leading a multidisciplinary team of highly skilled technicians. The group consists of the following teams: software engineering, electrical engineering, drawing office and mechanical workshop. You are responsible for supporting and motivating the team members to work together in an effective way towards achieving goals. You will chair the Technical Coordination Committee, which sets the goals and priorities in collaboration with the scientists. It will be your responsibility to distribute the numerous tasks over the available resources in an efficient way. You actively monitor the current and expected workload of the team and develop a vision about team size and required skills which you report to upper management.
As team leader you are the contact point between the management team and engineering support. You prepare the annual budget for the team, manage allocated budgets and make proposals for procurement and replacement of equipment and proprietary applications. Project management, resource planning and optimization will be an important aspect of the work. Tasks:
- Supervise, manage and motivate the technical team members on a daily basis.
- Create and manage project schedules including progress monitoring using e.g. Oracle Primavera or MS Projects; Proactively propose improvements in the actual progress of work versus schedule.
- Set clear goals and deadlines within the available resources and make sure the team functions effectively.
- Delegate tasks based on each member’s strengths and skills and offer the training necessary to complete certain tasks.
- Develop a vision for a service-oriented Engineering Support department.
- Ensure safe working conditions in the workshop and technical labs.